Having a very difficult time with an AirBnB host and cancellation. She told me she couldn't host me?

Tom154
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

Having a very difficult time with an AirBnB host and cancellation. She told me she couldn't host me?

So, I booked a listing with instant booking turned on and of course it went through. My host messages me a bit afterwards that she made a mistake and that she can't actually host me during those dates, so I go ahead and book another location and wait for her to cancel the reservation. She then goes on to tell me that she doesn't want to cancel because she'll be penalized and have to pay, so I should be the one to cancel. I mention that if I'M the one who cancels, then I receive a penalty in the amount of the AirBnB service fee. I sent her a cancellation request with the reason, "host requested that I cancel." She refused the cancellation request and now says that she can actually host me. I don't see any way I can resolve this in the help center or dispute center?

7 Replies 7
Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

Looks like it has resolved itself - she says she can host you.  Unfortunately, now you have to deal with canceling the other reservation you made.  You should probably contact Airbnb to see if they will waive the service fees for the second reservation since you made the reservation under the impression the original host would be canceling your reservation.  You can easily Google for Airbnb's phone number.

But the thing is that I had asked to stay there for over a week. Then she said I can only stay 1 day of that week so that she was able to host me for the one day. Then she said that original room is unavailable and is changing me to a different room which I'm unsatisfied with. She messaged me in her own words that she was going to cancel the reservation, and then backed out on it?

I shouldn't have to pay that for your mistake.
Today at 5:31 PM

No, I do. I have to pay the service fee
Today at 5:31 PM

[Image hidden]

You move the reservation and you do not have to pay penalties.
Today at 5:30 PM

That's not how AirBnB works. If you wanted me to message you before I booked, you shouldn't have instant book activated
Today at 5:29 PM

[Image Hidden]

If you want to stay one day I have the room available from 28th to 29
Today at 5:29 PM

[Image Hidden]

You should have written to me before making an immediate reservation. It is error of both.
Today at 5:28 PM

If I cancel I have to pay
Today at 5:28 PM

So then I have to be penalized and pay the AirBnB service fee because you made a mistake? That doesn't make sense to me?
Today at 5:26 PM

Image Hidden

If i cancel i have that to Pay.
Today at 5:21 PM

Why can't you cancel?
Today at 5:17 PM

[Image Hidden]

I cant to cancel now. U can?
Today at 5:17 PM

You should be the one who cancels it, right?
Today at 5:16 PM

???
Today at 5:15 PM

[Image Hidden]

Cancelala tu.
Today at 5:12 PM

Hi Carolina! I found and booked a different place -- thank you for letting me know! If you could cancel the reservation so I can get a refund, I'd appreciate it. Thank you! --Tom
Today at 9:23 AM

Ohhhhh 😞
Today at 9:08 AM

[Image Hidden]

I am sorry. The room is occupied by that date. I must remove the immediate reservation. my fault.
Today at 9:05 AM

You'll still need to contact Airbnb directly to get them to help cancel your reservation without penalty.

This is a BAD host.  The host needs to cancel and pay the penalty.  If instant book was on due to a glitch in the Airbnb site then the HOST needs to be calling them to cancel without penalty to any one.  However to get quick action and solve your problem you can call Airbnb, Facebook or Tweet them and they should fix this for you.  You do have the proof you need.  I would not depend on this host to solve your problem of a full refund.

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

In this instance the host should cancel. If they don't contact AirBnb and show them the message thread. You have done everything right. Hosts like this give everyone a bad name. Good luck

@Tom154   Use Airbnb Twitter and send them a message explaining what happened, they respond fairly quickly to tweets!