Compliance Letter from Zoning Department in Toronto

Erin77
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

Compliance Letter from Zoning Department in Toronto

Hi there,

I airbnb my place in Toronto and my Property Mangers have sent me a letter demanding a compliance letter from the Zoning Department at the City of Toronto confirming that my short term rental use of a unit (aka Airbnb) complies with Zoning By law 569-2013 and specifically s 50,10.20.40(5) of the by law.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Otherwise I think condo corporations will start coming down on Airbnb hosts.

Thanks!

5 Replies 5
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Do you have such a letter, can you get one?

David

Helene116
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

I have recently being contacted by the City of Toronto, to find out if I was renting my house/rooms as my area is not zoned for "comercial/turist" accomodations. Those who are following the news are quite aware that the City is moving towards regulating the short term accomodation space. I was singled out by a neighbour who is not happy to see guests come to my house, even though, they have been extremely respectful and quiet.  What I don't understand is why at the finalization of the regulation (After public consultations etc..) the city still wants to crack down on Airbnb Hosts.  The agent could not even tell me if I can rent my place for 2 weeks or 28 days, he did not even know.  He said that I am running a hotel. He will be sending a letter of my "zoning violation".  Do you  know what is next? What I should do? We are so close to finalizing the regulation in Toronto, why would he target me instead of the 20,000 other listings in Toronto. Also, I am well inside the proposed requirements: I live in my house while I rent rooms, and I am always present. I cannot rent out more than 3 rooms in my house, which I am doing. 

Has anyone been called as a result of a zoning violation? If I am guilty of doing this, then 20K other homes are too.  Another quesiton, if I pay the regustration and licensing fees, would I be able to rent my rooms again? (I have put them off the market) I want to make sure that I don't break any rules. But I wonder why would the neighbours meddle in my personal affairs and what I do with my house? It is not any different from making room for a doctor's office in a residential area (which I've seen).

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. 

My Listing

Maria1387
Level 2
Ontario, Canada

Hi Erin,

I saw a similar city notice posted on a neighbouring hosts door.  I'd like to look up the Zoning Bylaw, but don't see the paragraph you're quoting.  Here's the page I've gone to - http://www.toronto.ca/zoning/bylaw_amendments/ZBL_NewProvision_Chapter50_10.htm#50.10.20.20

Could you update us as to what has happened since you posted this a year ago?

Thanks,

Maria

Yvonne186
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Hi everyone,

I received a letter from Municipal Licensing Standards office last week, requested to inspect my home under of zoning by-law enforce, I called 311 ask about it, the city said it's illegal to rent my home on Airbnb ( short term rental ) before I register it, but the city is not ready for it till spring.

What I should do? Please advice me as much as you could? Thanks!