Guests who are new to Airbnb and do not have reviews.

Guests who are new to Airbnb and do not have reviews.

I have a request for a stay and they do not have any stay reviews yet. Is that safe? Or should I wait for a guest with stay reviews? 

24 Replies 24
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Most of my giests are new, everybody has to start somewhere.

David
Richard386
Level 2
Hove, United Kingdom

Hi. We have hosted dozens and dozens of people in our family home since 2012 and have never had a problem. Tomorrow I have a guest booked to arrive and something is not quite right. His name is out and out dark-skinned Kenyan, which would be a fantastic first for our house, we love meeting all kinds of new folk, but his profile pic is of a skinny caucasion guy in sunglasses. He joined March 2016 and has no reviews.

I felt wary so looked for his connected account - facebook - can't find him there at all - and his LinkedIn profile is super-minimal with no pic or employment. Other than that this guy might as well not exist digitally.

Am I being paranoid or does this sound peculiar and suspicious.

Thanks all.

@Richard386  Start a conversation, ask him a few questions, ask him to upload a Government ID.  I don't do social media and a huge digital presence does not make someone more trustworthy. Communication is the key. 

btw:  Most of my guests have no reviews and I have had great experiences. Guests have to start somewhere.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You would not find much about me on Facebook or Linkedin either. I have accounts.

David
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@NewYorkStateOfMind0 it depends... I always ask questions and trade several messages before I decide. I also give more explanation to the guest about the listing and remind them to read the listing thoroughly to ensure that they have a pretty good expectation and understanding. Based on my experience, there are good new users and there are bad new users.

It is always better to host people who have reviews.

I hosted few who did not have reviews and I had problems.

People who have no reviews may had problems in the past and just redid their profiles. You will never know.

People who had problems may had delegated their accounts and opened different ones.

I had that happen to me. So if you hoast with out reviews, be prepared to take risks.

sorry I meant deleated their accounts

So somebody stays with me for a night driving through, I may only speak with them for a minute.

Leave the place clean, no issues, I give them my usual one sentence good review and tick all the boxes.

So now that means they are good anywhere?

David

It usually works like this, people who stayed somewhere and were good guests will have more than one good review. I ususlly look for several reviews. No rewies no booking no matter how trustworthy they look and how nicely they tell a sory. You also know that the information like bank accounts and visa numbers are good because no body will go change visa every month or so. 

One review is not enough, the more they  have the better. Remeber NEVER trust anyone 100% Check ID to see if they are the right people, ALWAYS ask for deposit when booking.  One guy took my towels, I had to request the money from his deposit. Keep you belongings secured, lock your room. No exception to the rule.  

Its better to be safe than sorry. And even then you may be robbed so protect yourself. 

@Lilianna0 be careful!  Asking for a deposit outside of Airbnb is a violation of the Terms of Service: 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/458/can-a-security-deposit-be-collected-outside-of-the-airbnb-we...

I don't ask guests for money it's an option that is set when booking a place. Aren't you aware about it? The deposit is set through Airbnb. 

@Lilianna0

That is not really a Security Deposit as is commonly understood.

David

What is it then?