Guest cancelled 5 days prior to check in day, on Moderate cancellation policy.

Jen153
Level 1
Medford, OR

Guest cancelled 5 days prior to check in day, on Moderate cancellation policy.

The guest wrote to me when they realized they needed to change the reservation at 3pm, 5 days before check in, and the check in time is 5pm.  I was out of the country in a time zone 9 hours ahead, so I was asleep at the time.  When I read the note, enough time had past, that she would not cancel in time to get full refund.  I recommended she cancel or request a booking modification to change the date.  She was upset that the new date for the following weekend was no longer available.  She sent me a bit of a "threat" saying she hopes I will work with her. 

Here is what she said:

"Jen, I'm disappointed you couldn't;t work with me and give e a little extra time to figure this out. I tried to reach you at 3:15, please note, the reservation cancellation says 5 days PRIOR to check in time, which in your case is 5:00pm, not 3:00pm, so I was still within range and should have not been charged the first nights fee. Please resolve this, and arrange to refund that fee. I would prefer to do it graciously with you instead of contacting AirBNB.
I also had looked the it appeared the next weekend was open, so I would have switched to then while trying to work with my son."

I wasn't able to get a new boooking for that weekend with the short notice.  She had told me she was not able to come because the local business that contracted with them to do a photo shoot was pushing the date back a week or two.  It is not listed in Airbnb's exceptional reasons to cancel.  In her first message to me, she wasn't even sure when it would be rescheduled.  My town is not a tourist town, and people generally book weeks in advance.  I had the place cleaned for their arrival and left the heat on while I was away for 2 weeks, which I would not have done.  

Do I refund her? 

8 Replies 8
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

I wouldn't, @Jen153...

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

good point!

thanks Marzena!

Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Jen153 I'm with @Marzena4: I wouldn't refund either. I think her threat is hollow. What's she going to do? She can't review you, and if she contacts Airbnb, what can she say? Unless her cancellation falls under the Extenuating Circumstances policy, there shouldn't be a reason for her to get a refund.

I would tell her that if you're able to get a replacement booking, you will refund her for whatever dates you're able to rebook. That seems fair.

Thanks Alexandra, another great point!  

Her reason did not fall under Extenuating Circumstances.  I reviewed it.  

and I wasn't able to rebook so, I lost potential earnings.  

Thanks so much for your logic!  

I don't like to be seen as "mean" but it is a small little business and I needed the income that I lost.  

Best wishes!  I "heart" Cananda! 🙂 

@Jen153 Glad I helped! Sorry, I misread where you said that you weren't able to get a rebooking.

I hear you regarding needing the money. If a guest knows what the cancellation policy is and agrees to it, that should be it, as far as I'm concerned. If a host agrees to refund, it should be a bonus for them, not expected.

Best wishes to you too! Thanks for the kind words about Canada!

Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Jen153,

I wouldn't refund her

The cancellation policy requirement of 5 full days before checkin time on the checkin date is for cancellations, not for what she did which was to just start a change consultation process.

Instead of being piqued and complaining that "you couldn't work with me", how's about she should have worked with you by giving days notice. If she didn't know of the change of plans until the last minnute that's her problem. You've already incurred expenses in the lead up to her booked checkin.

Steve.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

@Jen153

Do not make her issues yours, she could have cancelled and re booked, that would have been the right way to do it.

David
Sandy195
Level 10
Boulder, CO

I have been hosting for over three years and I have a strict cancellation policy.  This is what I have learned -- if they are intent on cancelling, they will get a doctor to write a letter claiming sickness (or forge it themselves).  Airbnb will side with the guest -- never fails, no matter how implausible their "sickness" is, or the proof I have that they wanted to cancel for other reasons.  In the past, I have fought these last minute cancellations, and lost.  I've also been successful during my super busy summer months telling the guests that the chance of me rebooking was really high and that I would refund them if someone else booked.  This has actually happened in every instance (just lucky!).  Lately, I just tell them that I will give them a full refund if they cancel within six hours of receiving my email so that I have a better chance of rebooking, and explain that Air does not help out the hosts in this matter (I wish they would offer cancellation insurance for the guests!), so I need them to cancel sooner than later.  This just happend today and the guest was super appreciative -- and then she decided to keep the reservation!  So, it's a win-win because now she thinks I am the best host, ever.  Of course, she could have just as easily cancelled and I would have been out $1500.  I will keep my strict cancellation because I think it discourages some of the more wishy-washy people from booking.  Hope this helps.