Gift Card payment

Evelia3
Level 1
Eloy, AZ

Gift Card payment

I have funds in my airbnb account .The second payment of my Reservation is due tomorrow . I have enough funds to cover the full amount . Will my debit card be charged since its the default? or will it take it from my air bnb account first?

1 Reply 1
Sam680
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

It will take money from your debit/credit card. Airbnb has a policy of not accepting gift cards for the second payment. 

I just found out their gift card policy the hard way. If you want to use a gift card: 

1) You must apply it to your account before starting the booking. 

2) You must pay in full at the time of booking. If you pay half up front, Aribnb will not use your remaining gift card balance to pay the rest. Instead they will charge your credit card. 

I paid only half up front, and later they tried to charge my credit card when I had sufficient credit balance. After an hour on the phone and multiple escalations, I was able to get my trip canceled and I re-booked, paying the full amount all at once with my gift card. 

I spoke with four representatives to try to understand their policy, but none had a reasonable answer as to why this policy exsits.