Food Safety Regulations Scotland

Lydia158
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Food Safety Regulations Scotland

I'm a new host - just started end of May '18 but have had almost exclusively good experiences thus far and am seeing if I can take advantage of the community's collective knowledge! 
I'm a pretty good cook (if I do say so myself) and would like to offer home-cooked meals for weary travellers - dinner any day and lunches on the weekend - as an additional extra.
I'm happy enough to do a wee bit more research and try to figure out the regulations I'd need to comply with but a quick skim of the Scottish government websites has made me think it's not going to be terribly straightforward to find out exactly what's required, in terms of food safety and hygiene regs (I already have REHIS Food Hygiene certificate)  as well as any licensing. Does anybody happen to already know this information or would they be able to point me in the right direction?

Thanks!

Lydia

3 Replies 3
Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

In England food safety registration is dealt with by the local council - I'm guessing Scotland will be the same.  I'm just going through the process.  I didn't have a food hygeine qualification so I did one online, then filled out an online firm saying what I was planning to do, and they sent me a letter saying I was now registered and pointing me to the Safer Food Better Business pack, which I have printed off and am working through. Lots of it doesn't apply to me (a smallholder making veggie frozen meals from surplus, for local sale), but some does, like keeping freezer temperature records and having cleaning schedules).  At some point (by appointment) the guy from the council will come and inspect my kitchen and my records to give me a rating.  He was very helpful on the phone - we discussed what my kitchen was like in terms of work surface materials, sinks etc and he seemed to be satisfied with that.  

Julia66
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @ Lydia.  Yes, @ Kathie, it's the same in Scotland.  I had a Food Hygiene Inspection by an Environmental Food Officer from Argyll and Bute Council last year, next door to your Glasgow City Council.  Most of it was about raw/cooked food and temperatures.   I had to buy a digital cooked food thermometer, record fridge temperatures and write my procedures.  I'm sure you would find it straightforward with your Certificate.

They gave me the following links on the Food Standards Scotland website:

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1990/16/contents

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ssi/2006/3/contents/made

https://www.food.gov.uk/sites/default/files/multimedia/pdfs/hiojregulation.pdf

and also a Food Business Registration Form.

The Officer helped me with form-filling etc.  There was no charge.  I got though it all with my hand held!

I had been cooking for guests for 5 years without being inspected.  I think the council expected me to register my B&B with them and then the inspections would have followed.  I didn't know about this.  They must have found me through Visit Scotland tourist information.  It wasn't a problem though.  I'm sure your council would be delighted if you approached them.  

I suspect it's easier to pass a Food Hygiene Inspection if you are a B&B than if you are providing meals for the general public.  We are fortunate in that Argyll and Bute Council support small businesses, especially if they are in tourism, which is a big part of the area's income.  For example, we don't pay Council Tax on the B&B wing of the house!

Good luck!

Lydia158
Level 2
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Hi @Kathie21 & @Julia66
Thank-you so much for all your helpful info and reassurance ha.

Fingers crossed that Glasgow Council are as supportive as Argyll & Bute! 

Since posting, I have emailed Glasgow Council asking for their advice and have found a wealth of information on the "Food Standards Scotland" website. Particularly their Advice for new Businesses and I'm slogging my way through their extremely comprehensive CookSafe  guides.

I'll let you know how I get on!

Cheers!

Lydia