Children, extra guests, and fees

Children, extra guests, and fees

Thinking about changing my house rules based on some of the new policies and business practices of Airbnb.  Thoughts from fellow hosts?  

* CHILDREN - We're childless and have never learned how to make our home safe for small kids, so it's not - trust us. Any children under 12 will be charged at $100/night. 

Also thinking about adding something similar for guests requests over 2 people. 

17 Replies 17
William100
Level 3
Charlottesville, VA

I was thinking about doing the same thing but not all the sites I use allow charging for children or additional guests so I can't - I want my quotes to be the same from all the sites I use. 

If you only use Air BnB, then you should definitely charge for additional guests... its double the work, double the bed making, double the towel laundering, etc...

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

This one I find a bit contradictory   "Any children under 12 will be charged at $100/night."  Indirectly it says you will accept children, so it may be confusing.  Any child in a booking that is not an infant will be charged the adult rate.  If your intention is to impose an extra charge that exceeds the full adult charge, I think this might be seen as discriminatory.  Then better not to accept children at all.

When I enter 1 adult and 1 child into your booking I may not instant book - I would have to send a request to book. So if bookings are entered correctly, you can decline.  No harm to add "no children" in your house rules and explain why.  My real reasons for not accepting children are different to the valid excuses, but that is a different story.  

The new wording is "not suited for children under 12".  This does not exclude them exactly and it is likely that we will not be able to write in our house rules: no children allowed.  In the future, it appears, that Airbnb will allow child under 2 to stay free of charge.  So since I cannot exclude them, or worse, I get a set of parents showing up here with 2 small children who will "sleep on the floor" (yes, we get those requests!), I'm trying to make is prohibitively expensive to have them here.  Airbnb has alluded that if we note in our house rules we charge for something - I saw an article that talked about pet fees and miscellaneous rentals - then the guest will be liable for the charges.  

I'm considering a similar idea for guest requests for more than our 2 person maximum (yup, more children and young adults wanting to sleep on the floor - we're in a college town).  

BTW, child and adult separation for booking is not rolled out everywhere, so it's even more confusing.  

"BTW, child and adult separation for booking is not rolled out everywhere, so it's even more confusing."

I see - did not know that.  Hopefully it will soon - I find it an improvement.  Also, one may not enter a number of guests that exceeds the number in your listing.  One may enter any number of infants though 😞  sleeping on the floor...... But if your settings say "may not be suitable for infants", again it will turn into a request.   

@Marit-Anne0 Thanks for this note "Any child in a booking that is not an infant will be charged the adult rate" as I had not been able to find this information until now.

Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

I love your listing.  I can see, looking at it, why a family might be attracted to stay there.  It has a really ideal/All-American vibe.  Are you having issues with repeated requests from families and worried that it might impact your response rate, or just trying to prevent potential issues?

I am a parent of children 11, 8, and 5.  I am just giving you feedback based on how I would approach the listing.  First of all, you have no control over how Airbnb default says "may not be suitable for children 0-12."  For discrimination purposes, I think the language has to be that way maybe.  Who knows.  But for sure that would be confusing to me as a parent because if that was the only statement I would just automatically think, "oh.  Well my kids aren't thoes people.  I don't actually give a **bleep** whether they are safe at all."  For me, a statement like "Keep your little minions out of my precious house!" would be so much more helpful because then I could just scroll on by.

But, given that you can't change that, I think it is really smart that you spell it out in your listing, and have it as part of your house rules.  In your listing, you clarify no children by mentioning 1905 house, lead paint, uneven hardwood floors and fireplaces.  This seems a bit much honestly.  In the historic  North End of Boise there are plenty of families residing in houses thusly described,all children alive, well, accounted for.  I read that and just kind of smirk, because my kids have traveled all over India without carseats staying in rural villages with dirt floors.  You don't have to make an excuse about safety.  It's your home.  Just say, "Our home is not appropriate for children/families, and we will not accept bookings with children in the party".  That is your decision to make, and you don't have to clarify and really it is probably just as well that you don't.

You already have Instant Booking turned off, so that would give you another layer of protection as everyone has to request to book so you don't get any guest surprises.  The only thing you might consider changing, is upping your additional guest charge above $5 to something higher.  But that is really only assuming that it is a cause of great concern for you that you receive a request/inquiry and have to decline it.  Given your house rules, you would be well within your right to refuse to accept a mother traveling with her 12 year old daugher should you choose to do so, so it seems unnecessary if you don't mind telling folks no every now and then.  

The only other thing I can think of is we typically book an Airbnb on the fly, last minute, and instant book only so we probably aren't your ideal candidate, but if I was booking your place I probably wouldn't read all of your house rules immediately because they are very LOOOONG.  I would skim.  It's great that you have the key points spelled out in all caps so my eyes should find the ones that apply to me.  However, if I were going to miss something it would probably be things that are placed near middle of list, especially if I was booking on the road with a van full of deplorable children distracting me.  (Remember, I would be sorting through 20 listings, not just automatically finding the perfect thing).  So, if this is an issue that is really important to you/causing you some grief, you may consider moving the NO CHILDREN UNDER 12 all caps statement further up in the list to position 5, lets say.  I can understand not wanting to lead with "NO CHILDREN" because maybe it sounds a little grinchy or something, but really if it helps the intended audience that could actually be a very nice thing to do because it automatically releases us to consider options that are appropriate.  You are a great writer, so I am sure you can write it in a way that still sounds gracious/welcoming.

@Melanie58

How very odd - I see the Instant Book turned on.

That is strange - definitely no instant booking option for me when I look - only "request to book".  

@Melanie58

I believe it depends from where you are searching - my own listing shows IB when searching from certain locations and not so from other locations.  Your listing shows IB when I take a look. Would you mind taking a look at mine - it is supposed to have IB on.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/510821

Oh!  Rats yes - I think the issue is my husband's account has been reviewed on past trips but mine has not.  So I am probably not qualified to instant book your place if you have on more stringent settings (as I do) regarding previous reviews, etc.

I've checked your listing from the UK - IB is on Marit Anne

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/8496045

@Adrienne1

Thanks a million Adrienne.  IB on or off - it now depends on from where the search is made.  

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Additional guests - absolutely..

Children; two considerations - is your place safe for them and do you really want young kids doing what they do best in your home?