Breaking your house rules small matter things but so many

Marilyn29
Level 2
Frankston, Australia

Breaking your house rules small matter things but so many

When the guests checking in I will menioned about my house rules and has also listed on a paper, put at fridge for read. I also put a note at each big item who need to attention, but some guests are careless and don't listen your talking the rules.

1. shoes no off when go in to the house, I have put the note on the door.

2. I have written a manual use guide next to the washing machine but they don't follow / read

3. non- stick frypan they dont care just use fork to mix the food and caused scratches

4. rubbish needs to group into recycle and general waste, but they all put into the general waste.

5. left the used utensils for other people to wash for them

there was a 50 years old man really no house trained person and careless and no considerate;

1. wasting so much of my water, (water is very expensive in AU), when i came in the house 1 day, he was washing his dishes, then he heard the sound of openning door, he walked to the door to check it out, and talked to me but he did not turn off the tap, and water just keep running till he returned back to the sink. I guess it was wasting 15 L of water of his behaviour. I immediately stopped him that "can you turn off the water tap 1st".  ( i was thinking he may has did something wrong that was why he was concerning people come in) 

2. before that, he was using my washing machine on his 1st day, he accumlated lots clothings from his previous stay (no laundry facility) and washed at my house, then 2nd day, he forgot to wash his brand new bath towel, then wash again, but was using 3 hrs & 7 mins -white programe to wash just only 1 bath towel, i have found out and asked him why dont you select "time save" button? he told me that "I thought the 3 hrs is only 3 mins wash time", I said, non of washing machine can do a 3 mins to complete a wash, at least 30 mins, as run water and drain & spam water is already 3 mins, dont say the wash. 

3. after he cleaned the used dishes but always still have stains.  

I really dislike this person, as I didn't know what else he will done wrongly again, I felt uncomfortable to left him alone stayed in the house. end up I torlent till he left, but I was so upset, I only charge him aud 20 per night (backpacker) but he just waste my things, did what he used to do, did not know to comply other house's rules, be honest still diff bw your home and other people's home and made my mood so badly, it is not really worth to hosting such guests.  

I want to ask the hosts have such experience?

10 Replies 10
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

It happens frequently, @Marilyn29. The higher standards a host represents, the worse. I would reflect it in the review for sure, sth like "this guests has to improve his performance as an airbnber" and would add much more in the private feedback. I would also think of requesting money for the worst of his deeds - damage or waste of water, explaining that overuse is not in the price.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

thx, great commond.

@Marilyn29

I can really relate to what you are experiencing because I am going thru more or less the same thing with my current guest. I limit laundry use to max 2 loads per week IF the guest is staying for more than 1 week. My current guest does a load of laundry every 2~4 days so it's borderline in the range I set BUT one load is 3 tee shirts, 4 pairs of underwear then 2 days later 1 pair of jeans, 1 sweatshirt, 1 tee, 3 pairs of socks, then 3 days later a pair of shorts, 3 pairs of undies, one dress shirt..... you get the picture, right? It's so annoying and a waste of water and electricity! This has been going on for 2 months and it's driving me and Henry crazy! I've mentioned several times that because our's is a 16kg top load washer the guest should wait a few days more for a slightly larger load for a better wash and efficiency. The guest smiles, says of course~ and continues to run a load every 2~4 days. Sheesh~

you have limtied 2 loads in a week this is make sense and resonable but as long as she washed 2 loads within a week then is complied your rule.  eg, her 1st wash on tue then sun, then next mon, then another wash bf sun still ok, as 4 washes in 2 weeks. 

i had a guess washed her stufffs every day, after that I also had set a rule that if the guest stays 1 week then can max use 2 washes a week, and pls follow the my washing machine user guide to use the washing machine, but if stay less than 1 week, need pay $3 for a wash, still cheaper than outside commerial laundry. outside commerial laundry charges a normal laudry wash - 30 mins is already cost AUD$6 each wash. 

You know what these people did not bring too many clothes, and they are very calcumative. as they are no the person to pay the bills n no the asset owner they don't care.  

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Perhaps set your rules and expectations to the 'LEAST Common Denominator', meaning think of the least thoughful, and then the behavior of everyone else will feel like a 'bonus'. This also applies to all amenities in general; if something will easily be misused or abused, either think of a more fool-proof (aka idiot-proof) alternative or remove it altogether. In hosting - 'Nothing has to be', meaning no amenity that causes too much frustration (because is can easily become prohibitively too costly) has to be offered in the first place, when you think about it. In your particular case, at AUS20 there is hardly room for 'mental errors'.

Good luck.

I have read few times of yr messages, but I dont read understand what you are telling me. sorry. but thx for your afford nd time of respond. 

Consider eliminating the use of the laundry machine in the first place; OR charge for its use. Problem solved.

yes, right. then you may need to monoring the guest, as even though they may use it when you are no home.

Lock where they are. Possible?

in this world honest & fair will less stress. if too much trouble just don't accpet the stranger to live in your house, therefore past review from the host is very helpful for the new host.