Airbnb cancelled this instabook reservation before it even got to us. What happend?

Wulf0
Level 2
Pontours, France

Airbnb cancelled this instabook reservation before it even got to us. What happend?

This is the first message of the guest;

Hi, Just after I booked on airBnB from 02/08 to 03/08, I received this : Bonjour Maureen, Un remboursement de 47€ a été émis vers votre carte de crédit (VISA 8700) pour la réservation ** chez Cosy charming room in annex, country side (le paiement d'origine était de 47€). Même si ce remboursement est immédiat de notre côté, il peut s'écouler jusqu'à 5 jours ouvrés avant que les fonds soient effectivement sur votre compte. Merci, L'équipe Airbnb Do I have to book again ? Maureen.

We said to contact airbnb. She wanted to book direct via us and we said no. A week later she wrote to us again saying she contacted Airbnb and 'something went wrong in the booking process.'

Is this a hoax? Or a serious error from Airbnb?

1 Reply 1
Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Wulf0 , I strongly believe this potential guest is still persuing the idea of booking directly with you, not through Airbnb - and then possibly stiff you for the payment, and/or possibly get the foot in the door with a one night stay- and then just staying longer...nightmare!

If there is a reservation number, you would have gotten it from Airbnb, and then the cancellation from her side or from Airbnb. It is not too difficult to just make up such an official looking note from Airbnb.....and why would she send that "copy" on to you?

I really don't believe that Airbnb messed up in this case....on the outside chance that they did, you gave her the right advice to contact Airbnb, and she is still coming back to you... A one night possible reservation isn't worth all this drama. She is working on something, trying to keep you engaged- I would just drop it all together and not communicate any longer. Good luck!