Airbnb Revenue Model Recommendation

Maureen35
Level 2
Long Beach, NY

Airbnb Revenue Model Recommendation

I'm generally happy with ABB but there's something that sticks in my craw.

ABB garners revenue in 2 ways from hosts.  They make money "on the float" (collecting money from guest at time of booking but paying host 24 hours after guest arrival...which allows ABB to make interest off that money) and they make money via the 3% fee charged to hosts.

So, as hosts it feels like we're getting a double hit.  Makes me want to say, "Pick a revenue model".

It makes total sense for ABB to play the float.  It's likely the larger revenue stream.  And my first impulse was to ask ABB to drop the host service fee. 

But when I thought about it some more I realized that there's not much floated revenue for ABB for a booking that is booked very close to the check-in date.  So, I'm requesting/recommending something slightly different.  

There should be two separate scenarios 1) service fee and 2) float.  ABB should figure out the number of days in advance of check-in that is (essentially) a break even point for them.  Let's say for example that turned out to be 7 days.  So, for bookings 7 days or less in advance, ABB takes the service fee.  But, for bookings that are 8 days in advance or more, ABB garners the revenue from the float and does not also charge a service fee.

Please consider this as it really does feel like we're getting banged twice.

Thank you.

MM

1 Reply 1
Gillian19
Level 10
St Leonards, Australia

@Maureen35 don't forget the amount they charge the guest as well - around 10-15% of the total booking cost (including cleaning fees) I believe