17 year old minor wishes to book my apartment.

Answered!
Kwok0
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

17 year old minor wishes to book my apartment.

Does anyone have any information as to the legalities of hosting a minor travelling alone from abroad?  I have been contacted by a 17 year old who wishes to book accommodation in my home.  I am a parent of a 16 year old and although she has travelled abroad, it has always been with her climbing team and there has been a chaperone.  In addition, I have had to sign a form giving my consent.  So, whilst I am happy to host a minor, I am not sure whether there is need for consent by a parent etc.  Clueless on this matter, I am afraid!  Any advice would be most gratefully recieved.

Regards

Kwok 

1 Best Answer
Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi everyone,

This content is on our Archive board. To learn more about the age requirements, please visit this article: https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2876

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Paula_0-1700500410619.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

View Best Answer in original post

48 Replies 48
Sarah2166
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

I would send a message to any prospective host and explain this.
When did you open your Airbnb account? Did you provide ID showing your date of birth?

Question, my 16 year old goes to boarding school in California.  She wants to be a day student and live off campus.   Can I rent a place for her and not be there all the time?  This would be a 9 month rental, I don't want her living in an apartment by herself when I have to travel for work.   Please advise  Thanks

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Kristen521 

No, I don't think so.

- Firstly, you have to be over 18 to book an airbnb.

- Secondly, the person staying has to be the one who books. Third party bookings are not technically allowed on Airbnb. Certainly, your daughter would not be covered by Airbnb in this circumstance should anything go wrong. 

I would suggest, for a 16-year-old, a situation where she is sharing accommodation and there is a responsible adult in charge and watching over the minors would be more appropriate.

Believe me, when I was 16, I was fiercely independent and thought I was oh so grown up, but really, are you sure that it's a good idea to let her stay alone unsupervised in a new location? 

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hi everyone,

This content is on our Archive board. To learn more about the age requirements, please visit this article: https://www.airbnb.ca/help/article/2876

You can still access it if you have the link but it won't appear when you search the Community Center.

To ask a new question in the Community Center, please click:

Paula_0-1700500410619.png

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad