Insufficient descriptions

Mirjam97
Level 1
Ljubljana, Slovenia

Insufficient descriptions

Hi, it’s my first time here and the reason is that I’ve been very frustrated for a very long time (and that’s the reason I don’t book through this platform as much as I would like to).

And the reason for my frustration is this:

since we have a dog (two dogs) the most important information for us is whether the terrace is fully fenced - if not, our vacation is totally destroyed cos dogs are like small children, they wander around (at least mine) and you have to keep them on leash ON YOUR TERRACE all the time and god forbid they are unleashed and you go to the toilet or turn around, 30sec later they are gone. But for some reason hosts make thousands of pictures of kitchen from one billion different angles and just one picture of a terrace from an angle that you don’t get any idea where the fence stops - is it just one third, half of the terrace fenced? Many hosts don’t even make one single picture of a balcony /terrace and for a summer vacation this is the most important feature for most people (and not the kitchen table from 10 different angles or up-close pictures of your flowers). You only spend time on the beach/terrace/wandering around on summer vacations, right? And some (many) hosts even put pictures of the terraces that don’t even belong to the apartments but to other apartments in the same building.

What I, and many other people, would HIGHLY HIGHLY HIGHLY appreciate is this: hosts need to describe whether the terrace is fully fenced or not and if not whether it’s possible to “fully fence it” with some cardboard or something (hosts have done this for us many times). 

And airbnb should encourage hosts to post pictures of the whole terrace not just the part of it - I mean how difficult should this be (putting 2 words “fully fenced”) in a description  and putting one or two additional pictures - after 20 pictures of kitchen - of a terrace? Or add into description “possible to fully fence the terrace (when the position of a terrace is such that you can easily put an object to close the exit of a terrace).

No hotel room or hotel apartment exists without a full picture of a balcony and I believe that that should be a minimal standard of airbnb description as well.

And I know for a fact that many people with dogs share my opinion and would book (and find an apartment easier without constant messaging to hosts and asking them about it and hosts replying without giving you required information but some other information you didn’t even ask about and you don’t care about and then you give up and close airbnb) through airbnb more.

Another problem I have with airbnb listings is this: many apartments are packed, I mean PACKED with the decor. Packed so incredibly that there is no room for you to put your stuff anywhere and let’s not begin to talk about all the dirt and dust on these decorations. I know this is not an Airbnb problem, but it would be really nice if you instruct the hosts that shelves and wardrobes and cupboards full of decoration are not desirable 🙂 Yes, if people live in that flat and if they rent it out, that’s understandable, but if this is a flat only for rentals and they cover every surface- even a bathroom and you have no space for your own things - with a decor, well, instruct them that no one likes that. Some pictures, yes, but other things not so much 🙂

My experience years ago: 60 sqm flat, quite a few cupboards and shelves, every single inch/centimeter of every single cupboard and shelf was covered with small dusty decor - all sorts of teddy bears, plastic flowers, small figures of god knows what… - and zero place to put our stuff anywhere. I emptied everything behind the sofa and the whole area behind the sofa was fully covered - up to half a meter with that decor, that’s how much of it was there. That apartment was newly built just for summer rentals , so it was not their home they rented out during summer vacation. So they put an effort to fully cover every single space of a new apartment with all those little dusty furry things no one wants:)

So please airbnb, do this kind od suggestions even come to you or this community is completely detached from you?

0 Replies 0