We are 18 and 17

John8056
Level 1
Belleville, NJ

We are 18 and 17

Me and My friends who are all 18 ans 17 want to rent out a house for a final trip be we graduate from high school. We're looking for a house in the Poconos, but every host we looked at says 21 or older. Are we able to rent a house, or do we have to be over the age of 21? Please help us!

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

In the US many hosts only accept bookings from those over 21 @John8056 

why not look at a youth hostel.

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @John8056 👋

Did you manage to book an Airbnb for yourself and your friends? 

Looking forward to hearing from you! 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

John5097
Level 10
Charleston, SC

@John8056 

The Airbnb policy is that anyone over 18 can make a reservation.

I've had many young guest reach out to me via Send Host Message, state their age, 18, and ask if they are able to make a reservation, that they have been declined so many times they wanted to be considerate and ask first. 

Mine is just a one bedroom guest apartment. Meaning I live in the rest of the house, so it's not where young guest would book to be loud and party. There are a lot of young guest who want to travel with "the boy friend", don't drink or party and already career oriented responsible young adults.

So I don't have any age discrimination and just be clear that its super quite neighborhood and I don't want to disrupt neighbors, but if they think its still a good fit, to send a reservation request. 

Airbnb is just marketing and making money. A young group of teens is more prone to want to party or cause damage to the house.

On average I've had fewer issues with young guest. 

You could message first and state you are very responsible and offer to include an extra deposit for any damages, provide IDs, and be very honest about the guest count. Make sure your friends are also aware that you can't leave a huge mess, ruined sheets, etc. 

ETA: Host may also set their age requirement to 21 because that's also the legal age for alcohol. They don't want to risk underage guest who are drinking because of the laws. For example if an underage person who stayed at their listing caused an injury DUI, the host could also share responsibly as they got drunk at their listing. So maybe assure host that your group also wouldn't be drinking or disrupting neighbors. Good luck!