What is your preferred towel color?

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

What is your preferred towel color?

I am forever going back and fourth between lush white with ability to bleach and darker colors that hide stains but often bleed in wash so have to be washed separately and then look tired.

64 Replies 64
Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Inna22,

I prefer using only white linen as it gives off a fresh and clean vibe without being too personal. Choosing other colors or patterns is subjective, and I avoid them to ensure potential guests aren't deterred by their preferences. For me, colored linen, especially with patterns or figurative elements, feels outdated and overly personal.

@Guy991  How are white towels too personal? 

@Kia272 He is saying not too personal

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Inna22 I don't have a favorite color for towels, but I have never done white. Honestly,  I haven't had a real problem with stains on towels. I do use separate washcloths, but haven't really had a problem with stains on those either. However, they are cheap enough that they are easily replaced if I do. 

One thing I do do is have separate color towels for guests, because I only have one bathroom, and I want guests to be able to keep track of whose towel is whose- pretty challenging if they are all the same color. 

I also haven't had a problem with darker colored towels bleeding. I've been buying decent quality all-cotton towels at either Amazon or Macy's/similar department stores. I use vinegar as a fabric softener and I do think it helps them last longer, as there are no strong chemicals at work. 

While this isn't a direct answer to your question, I hope it helps. Kia

@Inna22 , I’ve have always used white. And I buy 3 or more sets especially when they are on sale. I did try (just last week) to switch to colored towels. Purchased two sets of a blue colored ( bluish gray) towels and had them placed in our listing bathroom. Since I did not have anyone due to check in for another day, I kept going back in the unit to see if the colored towels worked for me. Unfortunately, it just didn’t have the look/feel the white towels gave to the bathroom overall look. I returned the colored towel sets and purchased 2 additional sets of white towels. Yes, we do end up with occasional stains and for the most part we can get stains removed.  Any towels in which we cannot remove stains are repurposed: garage use or our personal use. 

Best—

Can0
Level 3
Chicago, IL

Always gray and gray tones, preferably dark gray. Including linens. Never use white.

Why is that?

I also use light/med grey colored towels. With white towels I have the experience that  sometimes they don't actually get back to a "clean" white after cleaning, remaining a little dingy looking even with bleaching. Our grey towels hide any light stains that might remain after washing. 

Juan63
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

This question has existed since the dawn of time, it seems...lol. They should be white, always white unless they are pool towels.

Julia3669
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Green towels are the best.

Definitely not. There is a reason why most hotels use white towels.

Adam759
Level 2
Canton, MA

I prefer and use white towels and sheets. They are much easier to wash and oxiclean white/worst case spot bleach if necessary. 

Giannis80
Level 2
Athens, Greece

I prefer white linen!

Sussy6
Level 1
Naples, FL

I do prefer white towels, is more hygiene