Yale Locks out of the US country

Answered!
Eric6069
Level 2
Lancaster, CA

Yale Locks out of the US country

I live in CA, but manage 2 properties in Mexico. From a recent change, my Yale Locks in Mexico can no longer be controlled by me, because Yale dropped support for Locks outside of the US.

I've already had a guests locked out and spent 2 hours on the phone with a rep telling me I just need to reset everything while in Mexico and it should work.

So asked a friend for help in Mexico to do everything they said and they keep pushing the blame away from them, but no resolution.

The next day I spent 1.5 hrs with them on resetting the bridges and still nothing works.

Later I found out the parent company ASSA ABLOY broke away from Yale to avoid some antitrust claims and they were the ones to offer server support outside of the US.

End result is I can't control my Locks in Mexico and they won't offer compensation or a full refund of their Locks.

So don't buy Yale Locks if you plan on managing property outside the US.

I'm still working with their support, but things don't look good. I'll update everyone if anything changes. This is just a heads up.

1 Best Answer

My bad I got tied up and didn't post any updates.

Well I got my Yale Locks to work again.

You need to download the app called "Gateman Access". 

This will be completely separate from Yale.

When you get to the point of authorization, you will need to do both option of text and email.

If you have issues let me know what error you get and I can walk you through it.

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Karen114
Level 10
Bolton, MA

Hi @Eric6069  I too have Yale locks and one is in Mexico.  I do use the Vera hub or now Ezlo and it's been pretty seamless.  What hub are you using to manage the lock?

This would have me freaked out as well as I also live in the US.  With the spotty wifi in Playa del Carmen I sometimes lose the connection to the lock and can't enter new codes however it comes back eventually.  

I also find the support with Vera to be excellent. 

Karen

I looked into and it seems to only be for Z-Wave connected locks. If that's the case I'll need to change the module for each lock.

Are you able to control the lock with your phone or only though your computer?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why don't you employ a proper, experienced co-host rather than getting a friend to manage things on the ground locally @Eric6069 they can advise you on what key lock system to use.

The lock was verified with the company and distributors before using them. It took me 2 weeks verifying they meet all my needs.

Like I said, this was a company change issue that I got caught up in the middle of.

As for assistance. I do have local people to handle things but this was a bit too technical for them. 

Jose5492
Level 1
Denver, CO

Yale support in USA told me it was just a technical glitch my locks went offline and that I needed to be there to put them back online so I flew down to Mexico for $670 now I’m on phone and they say they discontinued support of my locks and nothing I can do - if this is happening to more people than you and I please contact tv@123x3.com and I’ll put together a formal ftc complaint and work on class action lawsuit - had multiple guests vacations ruined and just wasted 3 days of my time to come down here. 

Hi Jose I will reach out to you for more information how to join class action suit. 

My bad I got tied up and didn't post any updates.

Well I got my Yale Locks to work again.

You need to download the app called "Gateman Access". 

This will be completely separate from Yale.

When you get to the point of authorization, you will need to do both option of text and email.

If you have issues let me know what error you get and I can walk you through it.

Hi Eric, thanks for your offer to help. I downloaded and was able to log into the Gateman app using my Yale Access credentials. Unfortunately, I'm unable to do anything else after that. The main screen shows a "Device unavailable" message and I'm unable to add, edit or delete users from the Guest List. Do you have any suggestions?

@Karla727 Can you send me a screen shot of what you see on your screen? Also, I know you said you did everything through your Yale credentials. So that means your email and password from the Yale account?

Hello, right I also went through situation. But now, I cannot use alexa to open it as the skill is not available. Would you happen to know any more regarding this? Thanks in advance.

Judy847
Level 2
Ontario, Canada

Hi Eric I too have been trying to get support from Latin Yale. When in Mexico I tried adding the Yale lock to the app and my lock could not be uploaded. I have reached out to Yale America and the Supervisor to be told not our problem. Contact ** for assistance.

The source of purchase determines if Latin Yale will assist you. I purchased Yale lock from Amazon.com.mx for this reason I am not eligible for assistance. Came from USD. I am going to contact Jose and join the class action law suit. This is not right. I added my review to Amazon in Mexico and Canada. No response from Yale. 

**[E-mail address hidden- Community Center Guidelines]

Yale has expressed, they don't care and it doesn't seem like they care about being sued either. They tried to make claims that they never stated they cover devices outside of the US and gave me some site to Assa Abloy for out of country devices that doesn't care either.

They forward me around for days until I just figured it out on my own.

Dominic351
Level 1
Spring Lake, NC

Hello everyone, I’m hoping this thread is still alive; as I am in the us and believe that my lock is affected as-well. And I am getting the same run around. long story short mine and many other us locks can no longer be factory reset. leaving you SOL if you removed it from your nest account for any reason. they refuse to look at the lock or fix it (at my expense ) as stated in there website and continue to state is it’s out of Warrenty …. I just want my locked fixed that I paid 300 plus dollars for. If anyone knows of a page or resource on this topic please forward . or if you would like to exchange information that may help it would be greatly appreciated. **

**[E-mail address removed due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]