Refund best practice

Karen3524
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

Refund best practice

Our shower was not function on the last day our guest rental.  Water was everywhere they had to clean it up and  b4 they left for their dinner reservations.  Hence they could not shower b4 dinner.

Would you give a full refund or partial refund.  

would love some suggestions on what to do. 

3 Replies 3
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Karen3524 I'd offer them something towards their dinner. 

We once had a major flood in the kitchen of our listing. The guests were great, never complained as they cleared up and moved the washing machine out. No compensation was requested and we still got a 5* review. 

Christina163
Level 10
United States

Refund them the last night & move on…..I wouldn’t bother looping myself into someone’s dinner plans 

keep it professional, quick apology & money back asap for 1 night & just say it’s not your fault these things happen….

if it’s a super expensive rental maybe give them 1/2 night?

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Karen3524   If it was a failure of your plumbing and NOT the fault of the guest breaking something through misuse, a refund is certainly due.

If it is the only bathing source in the property, then a full refund for that last night.  If there is another bathroom, or the bathtub plumbing is operational, then 50% of the affected night.

If it was the fault of the guest and the plumbing is not functioning, the guest needs to agree to a reasonable cost for repair and must tender that amount immediately.  My plumber charges $150 to just show up to the property to evaluate the problem, so I would want at least that amount from the guest.