Recieving text messages outside of the Airbnb platform.

Robert8078
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Recieving text messages outside of the Airbnb platform.

I just posted our Casa on Airbnb. Within a day I have a text message from someone asking about price quotes. It seems all the contacts should be inside the Airbnb platform. I smell a scam or something is not correct, am I wrong?

4 Replies 4
Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Robert8078  Scammers and unscrupulous guests will target new listings.  It is possible that it is a scam.  While you are learning how to be a host, do not go off AirBnB-- keep all communication and payments through the platform.  

@Robert8078 Airbnb encourages all communication between hosts and guests to take place through the Airbnb platform. This is not only for security reasons but also to ensure that all communications are properly documented, which is helpful in resolving disputes or clarifying details about bookings. When conversations and transactions are conducted off the platform, it compromises the safety and support Airbnb can provide.

If a guest is contacting you directly outside of Airbnb for price quotes or any other booking-related inquiries, it is advisable to redirect them to communicate through the Airbnb messaging system. This helps protect both your interests and the guest's, and it ensures compliance with Airbnb's policies. Hope this helps!

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Robert8078 how did they get your cell phone?

Rebecca
Community Manager
Community Manager
Suffolk Coastal District, United Kingdom

Hi @Robert8078 👋

I hope you're well. I'm sorry to hear that you believe you had a scammer contact you. I'd like to share this link from the Airbnb Help Center about avoiding fraud, scams, and abuse.

Did any of the answers below help you resolve the issue? If so, it's always a lovely gesture to mark it as the best answer. It's like a big virtual hug to the member who supported you but also to support other Hosts who may have similar questions in the future. 😊

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines