Picky and demanding guest

Dale16
Level 2
Edinburgh, United Kingdom

Picky and demanding guest

I have just been woken up tonight at 12.30am by my guest who has already been very demanding, I could spot it from the booking process. You know what I mean!

She was asking if there's a mattress topper or something missing from the bed? She couldn't possibly sleep on it. Luckily I have a very comfortable sofabed in my living room which I offered her for the night.  

She was asking so many things.  Don't you have any shelves or anything? Do you have a higher table? (The room has a desk!🤦‍♂️) Do  you have more coat hangers? Do you have a face cloth?   Of course I was happy enough but it's the first night and she's here for two weeks...

The room rate is £17 a night... Cheaper than a hostel, the bed is comfortable enough. The room is very cosy, quiet and in a good location?

What should I do in the morning to resolve? 

I could cancel the reservation, but I don't want to lose my superhost status.

22 Replies 22
Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Agreed @Dale16 ! It's an American thing to be demanding imo... I dread hosting Americans!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Can you imagine if you had made the same remark about guests who were Chinese or Muslim? 

It’s no better to generalise about one nation than it is another @Helen350 .

Helen350
Level 10

I was speaking from my personal experience of hosting American guests @Helen3 , which HAVE been nerve racking & sometimes scary. And some complained where Europeans don't! - I hosted a scary, intimidating man very recently, so fresh in my mind.

And I dread hosting Brits because they have this weird sense of humor🤣🤣🤣

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Helen350

As @Helen3 mentioned, let's not generalize here. I highly recommend that you read our Non-discrimination Policy to make sure that you're in line with our commitment to inclusion and respect for one another.

Thanks, 

Quincy  

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Helen350
Level 10

@Quincy  It seems you misunderstand my whimsy....... I can assure you I was NOT generalising, it was a "reflection of the host's experience", as CS say when refusing to remove lying reviews. I've only hosted about 5 American bookings, the first was scary & frightening, the last (a couple of weeks ago was scary & frightening, because of an aggressive, intimidating, & rude husband), & in between  I hosted one LOVELY young man, the most personable & grateful ever! - plus one who gave me 4* despite driving her & her bags around the countryside in different directions & cooking her a free meal! Plus a couple more who seemed unimpressed, & were uncommunicative but still gave 5*.... 

Please note my quip in context, as aiming to support & encourage OP @Dale16 , when he thought the nationality of his problem guest was an issue....

I assure you I never discriminate against ANYONE! - Observation is not the same as discrimination

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Dale16  I have had guests from all corners of the world, but I cannot pinpoint a nation as being more demanding than the other.  Some guests have been cluseless, needy, even rude, stingy or grumpy for personal reasons, but never demaning.  Majority of my guests have been in the 50+ age range, said to be the most demanding of them all.  

Jill159
Level 2
Cotswold District, United Kingdom

Those sort of guests are challenging 

I sympathise 

However she will calm down I’m sure 

You could remind her that you’re not a hotel and your rate is very competitive 

Also you could suggest she cancels if she’s not satisfied and you refund her ( if things don’t improve)

Good Luck! 

Jill