Have had a perfect 5* rating until now, got a 4*, will I ever get back to being a 5* star?

Have had a perfect 5* rating until now, got a 4*, will I ever get back to being a 5* star?

I´ve hosted all perfect 5 stars (about 12), until now, a super good review (go figure) gave me a 4*. Now i´m 4.9*

Will it ever be possible to go back to 5*?

Is 99.9% 5*- 0.1% 4 stars still count as 4*?

Will I be inperfect forever? haha...

How does this work?

102 Replies 102
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Kyaw7 I couldn't agree more. Losing the perfect 5.00 rating is liberating and I think a 4.95 rating seems more honest to future guests!

Donna1173
Level 2
Hendersonville, NC

I’m so sorry this happened to you because it happened to me this week. I have 85 perfect five stars and work really hard to attain that. I had a Guest booked  for four days and she raved about the condo and gave me a great review and still gave me a four-star so it took me to 4.99. It hurts!

Same thing just happened to us after 55 5 star reviews.  They gave us a great review and only 4 stars.

@Mark5129 This is likely to be because when a guest reviews they are told that 4 stars is very good. Also some guests just do not give full marks on principle.

Anyway if you luxuriate your imperfections you will be far more content in life.

John7994
Level 1
Jackson, MS

We, too, are super frustrated.  Eighty one perfect five-star reviews now sabotaged by a guest who left a four star review for reasons that seem to make no sense.  In the private comments, she said the bathroom was freezing. There is a thermostat for that area.  All she had to do was adjust it.  I really wish Airbnb would have a way of marginalizing a certain number of reviews. 

Simon4548
Level 2
West Haddon, United Kingdom

After a very recent stay, I faced blackmail by a host that left -ve feed back on myself. This would be lifted if I revised my 4star review to 5, in fact this Host was lucky to get 4 stars. I have written to the CEO on the matter. If you cannot face feedback as a Host in real terms, fill you property with Chickens and seek an alternative sauce of income, rather than shaft the customer?

@Simon4548 Totally agree with you but please do tell - What was the blackmail attempted on you?

PS It was particularly stupid as reviews can only be deleted not modified once left.

Simon4548
Level 2

Hi, I was left-ve feed back, I was told to revise my feed back from 4 to 5 stars, then the Host would reverse their FB. If not my -ve FB will remain. Not how it works. I am now aware of the issues on the FB system, but there are ways of going about things .

Hi @Simon4548 🌿

Out of curiosity- I can see that the written review you left was great. I think most people would see it as a 5 star review - but you chose to downrate the host? Why is that? 
Best, Sandra 

Simon4548
Level 2

Because it was not worth 5stars, does every Host expect 5stars? Isn't feedback meant to be honest. It is opinion based. 

@Simon4548  The system expects every host (from budget to deluxe) to have at least 4,7 out of 5. The host will get warnings and will get kicked of the platform if getting much lower than 4,7 as it is seen by the system and Airbnb as if the listing didn’t provide what was promised in the listing details. So even a shelter must have at least 4,7 to survive on the platform - what matters is that the listing provides what is promised and that the guest knows exactly what the guest will get pre-booking. If something isn’t as advertised, it isn’t clean enough etc. then it is possible to downrate (when leaving less than 5 stars a box will pop up and it is possible to explain what went wrong). The system sees it as if the host didn’t deliver as promised if the host gets less than a full plate of 5 stars. Most Americans are aware - Europeans not so much. As you can imagine it is mostly budget places that will get the warnings just for being budget places. In Europe lots of people aren’t aware that the ratings got nothing to do with the old school hotel ratings. The ratings are used to list the listings after how reliable they are - no matter the budget. Getting less than 5 stars and the system sees the listing as unreliable. The host will get warnings and it will hurt the listings visibility when someone new is searching for a place to stay. The star ratings are unfortunately of much higher importance than the written review. 

Simon4548
Level 2

Hi yes I did later find that the system is floored, but as a Host do not leave -ve FB for a client then request a revision else that -ve FB remains on the clients score card. There are ways of doing things surely.

@Simon4548  The host should not be blackmailing you in any way. I’m sorry you have to experience that - it is not okay in any way. You both got the option to remove the reviews you have written yourself. It is not possible to alter a review after is has been published. But you can remove the review you have written and it includes the ratings as well and the host can remove her review of you too.