Guest booking for someone else.

Answered!

Guest booking for someone else.

Hi, 

We recently had a guest make a reservation that was new to airbnb. He requested to book for 1 guest and only mentioning him staying at our place but didn't have any verifications. I told him to proceed we require him to verify himself. He did so but then put in another request after his verifications were complete and I accepted. I realized that it said 2 guests then and not 1. In the photo there is him and another woman. I do my research on facebook and find out he is married and pictures match his airbnb profile and the woman. I am assuming now that it will be him and his wife staying. When he arrived at my house there was a man with him. We are a little confused. They were both friendly and kind but we wondered why he didn't mention this other man staying but since he was new to airbnb we thought he maybe didn't realize that he should have told us?? 

To shorten this it appears he made the reservation for the other man! The guy who made the reservation never stayed the night. He booked for 2 nights. When we realized what happened (after 1st night) we confronted them and asked who the other person was in the profile and said the other man doesn't look like the woman in the picture with him. He says thats his sister in the picture. We tell him then that this isn't how airbnb works and you are to tell hosts who is staying. We could care less who he brings to stay as long as we know! They guy who made the reservation would be ther during the day and then leave at night. weird. we where then very uncomfortable with the situation and the next day for them checking out couldn't come soon enough.  

My big question is if this happens again where someone didn't match the photo or I felt uneasy about them staying how do I deny their stay?? I wished I had went with my gut and told them they can't stay but I am not sure how all rules work and with refunds. Which I gladly would have given. I want to know how to do this professionally and not upset the guests. 

They are not getting a good review, in fact I wish I could get them kicked off airbnb. He also broke house rules by his friend being a smoker! House rules say NO SMOKING

1 Best Answer
Tania-and-Andrew0
Level 10
Cancún, Mexico

Hello Ernie & Lenora,

First of all I'm sorry you went through this experience. I hope your following Airbnb experiences are much better.

I have been on similar situations, but I have managed to detect this before they arrive, so I just tell them through the Airbnb chat that since Airbnb is a trust system third-party bookings are not allowed as you cannot hold the OTHER guest responsible for what happens in your home.

The following step is to involve Airbnb to let them know this is not a booking that follows the rules and then flag the profile.

When someone books even if they book for one person almost as an instant reply I ask exactly who is staying and that "I notice you booked for one, does that mean you're staying alone?" especially because we do not allow visitors.

There are emergency Airbnb phone numbers you can call if you feel you are not safe, of course they first suggest you contact the police but in this case it was not necessary. Do you ask for a security deposit?

Good luck.

View Best Answer in original post

58 Replies 58
Julie131
Level 5
Plano, TX

Report to AirBNB as third party bookings are not allowed. Also mention that he broke house rules.

Thank you I will report to Airbnb! Would I be able to immediately tell them to leave since k wasn't given notice of who the other person staying was? I know that was my fault for not asking too

You mean they are still in your place? You need to contact Airbnb ASAP!

They left this morning via messaging through Airbnb. I left for work just prior to them leaving. I'm headed home during lunch to make sure my house is ok. I wish I hadn't left for work now! I've been sick worrying about it

How do you do this? As I can't find anyway to contact A B & B directly??

Margaret352
Level 2
Colchester, United Kingdom

I have had the same hing happen to me twice, booked by femailes for their 'boyfriends' I thought you had to be a member, and why have they not joined themselves?

how to report to AIRBNB regarding the third part booking?

Go to the profile of the guest and use the flag under the profile name to report third party booking.  Good luck

I no longer see this option to flag a guest's profile for third-party booking.

How does one report this to airbnb. I am just having this problem now and I dont know how I can report this. I dont feel comfortable having anyone that is not the guest themselves and this is a girl booking for her parents to stay. I informed her that she is breaking the rules doing this. becasue if I cancel the request i will get warned for doing this as the booking came through automatically since profile of the person has allthe requirmenets ticked to automatically confirm. But I dont want this persons parents here. 

Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Sanja54 call Airbnb and have them cancel the reservation for you since it is against their rules if the guest doesn't want to cancel herself. 

Tania-and-Andrew0
Level 10
Cancún, Mexico

Hello Ernie & Lenora,

First of all I'm sorry you went through this experience. I hope your following Airbnb experiences are much better.

I have been on similar situations, but I have managed to detect this before they arrive, so I just tell them through the Airbnb chat that since Airbnb is a trust system third-party bookings are not allowed as you cannot hold the OTHER guest responsible for what happens in your home.

The following step is to involve Airbnb to let them know this is not a booking that follows the rules and then flag the profile.

When someone books even if they book for one person almost as an instant reply I ask exactly who is staying and that "I notice you booked for one, does that mean you're staying alone?" especially because we do not allow visitors.

There are emergency Airbnb phone numbers you can call if you feel you are not safe, of course they first suggest you contact the police but in this case it was not necessary. Do you ask for a security deposit?

Good luck.

Thank you Tania and Andrew! We have had ALL wonderful guest so this is our first bad apple. Such a bummer to feel so uneasy on a situation like this. We don't have a deposit because it's just a private room we rent. We I think will renegotiate changes to that and start having a security deposit. I don't see many people who ask for security deposits when it's just a room they rent.

I had this kid who had his mom book for him.  He was staying for the summer while he interned at a local engineering firm.  It got ridiculous because he kept demanding ridiculous things and stating that I needed to remember he was going to "rate" me at the end.  I contacted AirBNB and they set him straight and blocked him from leaving a review because he didn't make the reservation.