First Guest Review: skip or give honest feedback

Justina62
Level 2
Kaneohe, HI

First Guest Review: skip or give honest feedback

I am new to hosting. We just completed our first Airbnb hosting. The guest reviewed us today; and we are unsure if we should write a review or skip it. The reason to skip it is that the guest left a purple hair shampoo/dye ring stain on the enameled bath tub. I tried to clean it several methods but it will not come out and we now need to re-surface the bathtub. We will likely seek Airbnb payment for the repair. It is disappointing and a headache. The guest also didn’t follow the rules and had unauthorized guests—at least one stay the night and another time 4-5 people come over and it got loud and chaotic according to a neighbor that called me. I eventually pieced together the 4-5 visitors were to assist with the birth of the guest’s baby, and from what I can gather she planned to give birth at the rental but ultimately needed to go to the hospital; so unusual circumstance. The house was left dirty and somewhat messy after 3 month rental such as stained towels, blue watercolor paint splashed on a floor, chair upholstery stain, and a thin layer of glitter I can’t get clean from the front porch. Lesson learned for me is to get a cleaner in at least once a month to routinely care for the house while renters are there. I don’t want retaliation or a bad review (it will be our first review) so let me know what I should consider about writing a review or skipping it. Help me calibrate my expectations—is this a normal and expected state of a rental as part of doing business, or is it worthy of bad feedback about my experience hosting the guest?

10 Replies 10
Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Justina62 Reviews should be left if you, as a host, expect to be protected from bad guests by the system. The bath claim feels a bit odd as I would suggest a bath should be able to stand up to hair dye. Anyway the guest will get a chance to say this when you claim from them.

Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Justina62 ,

Sorry to hear that this is your first experience, but I am happy to see that you are already drawing conclusions. A true professional.

The review is less important now. Claim additional fees directly through the reservation and also contact Airbnb support to do the same. You may or may not receive any money from the past guest or through Airbnb, so don't be disappointed. You might receive something.

Now, about the review. You mentioned that the guest hurried to leave a review, and for their good reason. The only reason for you to write a review is to inform other hosts about this guest; for them, this information might be crucial in accepting the guest. But for you, it won't. On the contrary, any positive feedback about the guest will reduce your chances of receiving additional fees. You have 14 days to write the review, so take your time. If you contact the guest and they agree to pay additional cleaning fees, the review should be different from if they don't even bother to reply. Don't you agree?

I don't leave bad reviews. I simply don't write a review at all. The algorithm should figure out by itself that a guest who consistently doesn't receive reviews should not be matched with properties that have instant booking off. For me, no review is the worst review.

Also, I would like to mention that in the review, you can write whatever you want, but the last question is the most important. It's the only question that is disclosed and not published: "Do you recommend the guest to other hosts?" It has two options: Yes or No. I think Airbnb should offer hosts the option to fill in just this question if they don't want to leave a review for fear of their own safety.

@Justina62 Please do not take @Guy991 's advice. What he fails to mention (or perhaps understand) is that guests can edit their review before it is published. As such if you claim now before you have reviewed they can change their review and really damage you.

Also the non-review of a bad guest is of no detriment to the guest and is incredibly damaging for future hosts.

@Justina62 To clarify- both guest and host are able to edit a review for 48 hours after it has been submitted - but only as long as the review hasn’t been published. 
When the second part leaves a review - both reviews will instantly get published and by then it is no longer possible to edit. Both guest and host got 14 days after check out day to leave a review. I completely agree with @Mike-And-Jane0  Always, always leave a review when you have had a bad experience with a guest - I have always done that - it is not okay not to warn future hosts about bad behaviour. And the guest cannot read your review of them until after it has been published. The review system is blind so no one can read each other reviews until after they both have been published. Just write a short, unemotional fair review ending it with that unfortunately you cannot recommend these guests. You can find lots of great examples if you search the community. If you wish to ask the guest or Airbnb for money for repairs just wait til the 48 hours has gone - you get an email where it says that the guest left you a review. If you wait 48 hours after the receiving of that email they will no longer be able to edit the review. You can ask about the money and then afterwards write a review that tells how the guest were as guests. 

@Guy991 Having the algorithm figure something out means nothing to hosts, who are looking to other hosts to protect them from bad guests. 

Not leaving a review is actually a gift to the guest, if they have been bad guests. I'm not sure how you arrived at this opinion, but I strongly disagree, as do most hosts who responded here, many of who have been hosting much longer than you, and therefore have much more experience. 

You should absolutely do what works for you, but please be careful about dispensing advice that doesn't work for everyone, especially a new host in a tough situation. 

@Justina62 , always, always leave a review. Host(s) rely on other host(s) for a true factual review of  past guest(s) stay and/or experience.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Justina62  Try something called Barkeeper's Friend on the stain.  We had a stain left on the enamel bathtub that nothing would get it out, and then tried this product and it removed the paint.

There is no reason not to leave a review if they already have reviewed you.  They can't change their review.  If someone left your house a total mess and destroyed and damaged items, caused problems in the neighborhood then you should review to warn other hosts.  Be neutral and factual in whatever you say,

Debbie210
Level 10
Huntington Beach, CA

Please leave a review. The guest will NOT be able to change their review. Please let other hosts know how these guests truly left your rental and didn’t follow your rules. 

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Justina62 Definitely leave a review. It's the only way hosts have to look out for each other. 

@Mike-And-Jane0 are correct in advising you to not take the advice of @Guy991, because it is not good advice. 

I know you've learned a hard lesson, but general advice to new hosts is to not take an extended reservation for your first. Taking shorter reservations lets you build up reviews, and also lets you get some experience hosting, and figuring out what works and doesn't work at your property. 

Also, as you've now realized, most hosts do intermittent cleanings when a long-term guest is staying, mostly to keep an eye on the condition of the property. If you write that into your house rules, guests will have to comply. Of course you work with them to find a suitable time, etc. 

I also use Barkeeper's Friend as a cleaning agent. I've never used it on a stain, but it's amazing stuff and might just get your tub cleaned up. 

Good/better luck with your next guests. Kia

Hello!

I think for a 3 month stay, having extra guests a few nights, 4*5 nights of 90, should be expected.

On a 2 night stay, with 2 guests we’ve had sparkles on all the floor, purple die in the shower pan, stained towels and an accidental blood stain on the couch.  Purple hair die and blood did come out, just required the right cleaner…. ;)!

Accidents happen during guest stays, this is your time to tune up your gracious hosting skills and resolve without aggressively blaming this new  parent.

when there are stains we do not recognize, and stains we do recognize, we always reach out to guests to ask what they may be, let them know we want to clean ourselves, if all else fails, then it is pro cleaning time.  

up to you how you want to rate guest… we always review with grace, as we find future guests read all reviews