Beware of Scam - Please take a video as soon as you enter the airbnb

Abhisheik0
Level 1
Florence, Italy

Beware of Scam - Please take a video as soon as you enter the airbnb

We (My husband and I) booked an airbnb in Budapest for 3 days. We had a pretty good stay in the apartment and we had a great time exploring Budapest too. The best thing was the variety of  food that we get there. Even before coming  to Budapest we had done our part of research and had already decided the restaurants that we would go and what we would have for every single meal. We even asked for one hour extension in  the checkout and our host agreed for that as well. We were all happy. And while returning back, after around 2-3 hours of checkout, we got a call from the host and he also pinged us in whatsapp. He said that the induction was broken and we broke it. We explained him the scenario - That it was already broken the first time we saw it and we dint have the need to use it as we had every single meal outside. He started yelling on me that I was lying and I strongly replied back saying we dint do it. Then he had asked for a refund through airbnb and the customer care also contacted us regarding this, every single time we were contacted we explained everything true to our conscience. This went on for about a month and finally airbnb concluded that we have to pay 237 euros to the host as we dont have a proof that we dint break the induction. Little did we know that we would be scammed this way else we would have taken a video of every single corner as soon as we entered and all our arguments went on vain because we dont have a video or image proof of the broken induction.  I strongly believed that truth would win and consistently responded to them whenever we get a message from them, but it dint because we dont have enough evidence backing up our truth. 237 euros is not a small amount, it is even more than the amount we paid for the 3 day stay, but we dont have a choice now. We are now thinking that we will take it as we donated that amount for some good cause.  But I am writing this here in belief of my truth and also so that in future nobody gets scammed this way or atleast airbnb can recommend the guests to take a video as proof as soon as they enter as warning. Dont fall for this scam.

1 Reply 1
Guy991
Level 10
Sintra, Portugal

Hello @Abhisheik0 ,

Did you or the host leave reviews for each other? I wonder what you both wrote.