took my key

Tolu0
Level 1
Denver, CO

took my key

I need to report and uncomfortable incidence to airbnb- how do I do that please?

I had a guest come in from wyoming- she drove to denver and I left the key for her as I wouldn't be there to recieve her. I had to work. She saidshe was going downtown to eat...later texted me that she had a flat, later texted me they couldn't change it and she would be staying downtown with a relative. I got home and saw she didn't drop her luggage. So she just came took my house key and left? That makes me feel uncomfortable? So if she had a relative staying in town close to where she intended to go for her birthday. She did not return last night with uber ot lyft. stayed at a relative's place. Said she would bring my key later. it makes me so uncomfortable and suspicious. There is no direct contact to ask airbnb for help

6 Replies 6
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Tolu0, a good reason to feel uncomfortable. Get on to AirBnB right away. 

Go to the 'search for anything' box near the top right-hand side of the page, and type in 'How to contact AirBnB'.

Google will also do the trick if you type in 'contact number for AirBnB in the US'. One of the numbers is for emergencies.

You can change out your locks. I suggest http://www.kwikset.com they make a line of locks that allows you to quickly re-key the lock. You can get a new set of keys for $12 at Home Depot quickly re-key and be worry free. I had a similar incident and re-keyed my whole house in like 10 mins
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How long has she booked for? She is really entitled to keep the key for that period as she has paid for use of the flat.

If it is past checkout time and you haven't had the key back then raise a claim via Airbnb for cost of changing lock. I assume you had a security deposit in place?
Tanya36
Level 1
Los Angeles, CA

A couple weeks ago a guest to some items and my keys I had to make a police report and change all 7 locks ...
Karen-and-Will0
Level 10
Maryland, United States

I agree with Gerry and Rashid's comment. But I would suggest changing to a keypad to gain entry. We use Schlage Sense and it has been great. I set up the renter with a 4 digit code to work on the days they have booked. I delete the code after they check out. The neighbor has a key for another door as backup if needed. It all works really well and gives me a sense of security.

Agree with @Gerry-And-Rashid0 - she's entitled, however weird, to have the key for the length of her stay with you.  

If you are looking for options to gain some peace of mind while hosting, we have an alarm system and provide each guest with a personalized code.  It tracks all doors opening and closing, plus who armed and disarmed the system.  When a guest checks out, we change it to the next guest code, so even if they made a copy or take the key with them, they can't enter into the property without setting off the alarm.