lack of response to my ad

Lana32
Level 1
Huddersfield, United Kingdom

lack of response to my ad

I have just recently joined airbnb I have advertised a room in our house, but so far i have not had a single booking. I don't expect our location to attract a lot of visitors but thought I might have had some interest by now, I've advertised since january. Any ideas are help to improve my listing would be welcome, thanks.

9 Replies 9
Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Hello @Lana32 try creating links on the web that point to your listing, use social networks or simply mention your listing URL here in the

community.

Copy and paste the URL and it will automatically link to your listing thus increasing its visibility.

Example : https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/7195521   

(make sur to paste a clean URL not one that says https://www.airbnb.fr/rooms/7195521?preview )

Lana32
Level 1

thanks for the ideas i am not very computer savvy so will ask my partner to look at your suggestions

Scott80
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

The only things that jumped out at me were the fact the bed is not flat on the top. Not sure if it is because of the really thick comforter but it seemed odd like the bed might cause a sleeper to roll out of it. Also, I noticed that there is not a chair in the room, nor is there a TV. Is it your intent that guests use the room only for sleeping and that they use the shared spaces for most activities eating, drinking, lounging, etc. You might want to include a picture of the shared spaces to give prospective guests an idea of where they are going to be lounging. A photo of the exterior of the building helps create a visual sense of what the place is like. I am lucky that my building is along a canal and the building is iconic, so the exterior really helps guests appreciate the location/architecture.  

Lana32
Level 1

Thanks for the advice, I did not put a chair in the room as it is not a big room and didn't want it to look too cluttered, but could certainly make one available. There would be the option for people staying to share our lounge and kitchen space so I am expecting people who rent to use the room mainly for sleeping in. As our house is fairly ordinary I didn't think it mattered too much to put up pics of the exterior and wanted to make the focus on the room itself which has been newly decorated.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Lana32

put your own profile picture, few pictures on the walls would be also nice and more, quality pictures of your room and house in your Aibnb gallery.

If i would have a choice then I wouldn't book your room because I would like some kind of nightstand for glasses, book and mobile phone, a lamp near the bed and to be able to smoke at least outside in the backyard or on the balcony or with open windows or something.... I would also look for a room with tv and wifi. Quiet hours so early ( after 9 pm) also doesn't help specially because this room is so small  😞

But that's just me... and I would always book an apartment rather than a room 🙂

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Lana32

I agree with what other hosts have said. You should have a photo of yourself, verified ID and have completed your profile.

You don't mentioned options for eating out locally or shopping. People expect WIFI.

If people are able to use your kitchen then have a photograph of it. Similarly with your living room.

I agree asking people to be quiet after 9 p.m. is very early and will put some people off.

Some touches to make the room feel more homely such as photo's, prints, cushions and somewhere to put things next to the bed would be good.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Lana32

What the other posts have said are right Lana...the fact that you have a spare room in your house is one thing, will people want to stay there is another. Your appeal is very limited because it only sleeps one person and everything other than that room is shared space.

Possibly accommodation for a university student would appear to be the best market to pitch at. How far are you from the University of Huddersfield? Are there any other schools in your area that require student lodgings?

Your price is not outrageous but possibly a bit high for a longer term booking which students would require, and you don't seem to offer a discount for longer stays!

That aside, you have make your listing as attractive as possible to a prospective guest, and the main feature of a private room is the bed...you have to make it look inviting and Lana, that one of yours does not! It looks more like it's hiding a heap of clothes or is covering a body in the mortuary than inviting a guest. A good bedspread or Duna cover works wonders, a bowl of flowers on the dresser and some nice little homely things would make your space look a lot more attractive.

You have to remember with what you are offering Lana, your appeal is going to be very limited in any case, and I can't see how many views you are getting each day but, only one person has saved you to their watched list and I can't imagine you would be getting more than a couple of views a day with your listing looking the way it does.

It needs to look a bit more like a nice place to say than an annexe in a school dormitory. Put your creative mind to it and see what you can come up with. Make it something that a potential guest would like to stay in.....it's not about you, or a reflection on you Lana, it's about the space!

Cheers.....Rob

Deyka0
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Hi Lana your room looks frugal, yet inviting - Excuse my frankness, but you asked-here is my take: When I see your place as a possible guest I feel uneasy right away by the child picture on your ad. Usually, I dont associate that picture with what you are trying to achieve as a host.  

Lana32
Level 1

I have had some helpful comments  from members of the airbnb community and to be frank some less helpful ones, it is a small room I do not have a big house, but I would have thought perfectly adequate for someone making a short trip to the area. I have tried to make the room look more welcoming following the advice I have been given, but I am surprised at the suggestion that there is something wrong with the child pic I have posted which I thought was sort of fun.