How can I limit the number of guests per night?

Alex228
Level 1
Toronto, Canada

How can I limit the number of guests per night?

I just put up my listing. In the listing I say my house is suitable for 4 people. That is the maximum number of people I want staying there during a booking. Is this setting sufficient to limit guests?

In another setting in my isting it calls for me to set an amount for extra guests. I don't want extra guests. How should I set that up if I don't want more than 4 people a night staying at my place?

9 Replies 9
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Alex228, if your limit is four, that is the highest number that can book. Prospective guests may ask to bring extra people, but you can just say no if you have set your limit, and you have. You do not have to set a price for extra people. That is there just in case you need to charge a higher price after one or two people. Many hosts (like me) charge a little extra after two guests, because there is the extra work of bed linens, towels, breakfast, or whatever you provide. So there is one price for one or two, and then an added fee for three and four, if you want. No one will be able to add a fifth or sixth because that option will not be available to them. Four is your maximum.

Hope this helps.

Also, @Alex228, what an amazing place you have! All the best with hosting!

My situation is somewhat similiar--I want to charge one price for 1-2 persons and a different price for booking 3-4 persons in the same unit.  Can this be reflected on my present listing or do I need to create a new listing for this increase in the number of people?  zI would surely appreciate a "how-to." 

@Alex228 and @Mary69,

How to: 

Go to your Dashboard, then to Your Listing, then to Calendar and More. On your calendar page you will find Price Settings at the top right. In the dropdown from that, choose Extra Charges and Currency. 

Check "Additional guests". Put in the price and then choose "For each guest after 2".

All you need to do is set your base price for 2 people, then a price for each extra person up to 4. 

1. Host
  2. Manage Listings
  3. Pricing Settings
  4. Base Price
  5. Additional Pricing Options
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Alex228

Looks like you've been helped with the right suggestions. I'd certainly beef up my house rules though.

You also don't have a security deposit. Even though Airbnb often seems to take the guests' side more than the hosts, it will have more of a deterring effect on bad guests.

Another point on max. no. of guests - the community forum is full of outcries by absentee hosts of guests coming and bringing in more and having  major parties without the hosts' knowledge. Think of having a trustworthy person locally, who stands their ground and won't easily let themselves be brushed off and who can be your stand-in to keep an eye out on the property. Another thing is a security camera at the entrance, so you at least have proof if needed.

If you rent out longer than a week I'd think of having a non-optional once or twice-a-week cleaning.  That way you'll also have an indirect 'control' in case of extra guests snuck in or extremely messy and dirty guests. 

Even though Airbnb uses their insurance to advertise for new hosts, it's your property and your responsibility to keep an eye on it.

Too many stories of hosts who trusted too much, weren't careful enough, and got burned.

The community forum cases are a great study too!

Kaspars2
Level 1
Riga, Latvia

Hello I cant find setup that icould limited guest amound between months - for example I have 2 floor house in non active season I give just 1st floor for 1-4 guests, but in summer time 2nd floor also is comfortable for additional 4 guests - now I

now I would like to set up limit for may - 4 guests, for jun-sept 8 guests, oct - now 4 guests.

who can help me otherwise I have listed house for this month up to maximum 8 persons because I want to get bookings for summer up to 8 persons...

I'd suggest setting up two listings - one that describes just the single floor, the other that includes both first and second.

Open the calendar in winter for only the first floor listing (with lower max # of people), and summer months for the two-story listing with larger # of guests allowed. You could also have the calendars synched so if one were booked, the other would be blocked, just in case you miss a date overlap between the two.