Question on Checking Out Guest Before Approving

Question on Checking Out Guest Before Approving

Hi everyone,

We received our very first guest reservation request this afternoon. I want to check out the guest before approving the reservation and so I asked her for her phone number. However, AIRBnB blocked the number so I cannot contact the guest by phone. Any suggestions on how I can commuicate with the guest by phone.

I am also open to suggestions on what others do to check out guests before accepting a reservation.

Thanks!

Leila

4 Replies 4
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Leila-and-Allen0,

Yes, Airbnb does not give out their phone number until it is a confirmaed reservation.  Most hosts just ask lots of questions of the guest through the messaging system including ensuring they have read the house rules.  Another tip that sometimes works when I am in Chrome is I right click on their image and do a "Google image search" which will sometimes show me sites they have used their profile picture on.  I just tested it on your profile picture and it is linked to a few Airbnb sites.  It is a pretty cool tool!

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Thanks for the tip, Dave.

It's just my luck that my potential guest's image does not appear on any other sites when I do a Google image search. 😞

I have already asked the guest a number of questions and she has been very forthcoming, but I have been unable to verify anything so I decided to simply ask for her phone number.

I know I am being a little skittish, but as this will be my first guest I would rather be safe than sorry.

Leila

@Dave-and-Deb0 Way cool idea! 

Hi there,

I had just the opposite reason for needing a phone or email, but for the comfort of the guest. They wanted to contact me directly to ask a few questions prior to booking. It was very frustrating, to say the least. I couldn't share my phone number and they couldn't share theirs. I'm not sure why the guest didn't want to communicate thru Airbnb, I think it just seemed easier to speak in person to ask the questions (old school - haha). I tried everything, including spelling out my digits. We even tried thru VRBO, where I am also listed.

My guess is that it is to eliminate the possibility of booking buests thru airbnb advertising, but skirting their system and payment. Its too bad though, as the guest got so frustrated that they ended up no booking at all. I was dissappointed as it was a prime week for me.