Breakfast

Deidre2
Level 2
Queensland, Australia

Breakfast

Ive been a host 2 days. Do we offer breakfast and if so what are you offering?
34 Replies 34
Michelle183
Level 2
Pullman, WA

I've been a host for over a year. I ask about breakfast preferences in my one-week-out email, but I indicate a pick-list of continental items they can choose from. I used to try to keep everything stocked, but unused items would expire and that seemed wasteful so now I ask in advance if they even want to eat breakfast in, and if so to indicate from the list what they want me to provide (continental stuff like eggs, yogurt, oatmeal, cold cereals, breads, etc.)

Good luck!

I thought 2 different types of cereals, yogurt, banana.  Tea and coffee.  and Toast and Jam.  Is that OK.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

It is up to you, but you must say clearly in your listing if you do/don't so guests know what to expect. I don't provide breakfast at all, but I still have a few jars of cereal etc which guests can use, emergency rations. Some fruit. My house is 5 mins walk from the best cafe in the village, guests often eat out.

But if you are offering breakfast there are many and varied options from providing basic staples to all out cooked and served breakfasts. What's your hosting style? Love cooking/hate it?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

My last place I provided things for guests to cook themselves, here is the list:

small yoghurt tubs

bacon

mushrooms

eggs

tomatoes

home made bread

fresh juice

cerals/muesli/ porridge

fruit

cheese/butter

milk (ask for preference before staying)

probably more things but can't remember. You get the idea.

Karen77
Level 10
Montrose, CO

I offer to make a hot breakfast between 7-8:30 am and most everyone takes me up in that.  Before and after, I offer continental options.   Typically I offer scrambled eggs, toast, juice, fresh fruit.  If folks are staying several nights, I change things up each morning.

Most of my guests are heading out for a day of adventuring or long distance driving, so sending them off well nourished is a pleasure for me--all the more so because the restaurant options here aren't great at breakfasting.  

Hey Karen, 

I'm planning to become a host in the near future and also wanted to provide breakfast to my guests. I used to be a cook and would like to cook and serve some items I've made myself- it sounds like you are doing the same thing. Do you need some kind of license to be able to do this?

Marie3
Level 4
Northfield, MN

I provide coffee and tea all the time (they can make their own at any time) homemade quick bread (i.e. bannana bread, lemon blueberry bread, muffins) homemade granola, homemade yogurt with fruit, whole fruit, juice and milk. If they let me know I'll cater to no gluten or no dairy. They do not have access to the kitchen. They do have a small refirgerator. It's become the thing that almost everyone mentions in reviews so I keep doing it!

We provided breakfast the first year we were open. We have a full sized fridge that only our guests use and we stocked the freezer with breakfast burritos, muffins, croissant sandwiches, frittatas, bread, English muffins etc. Guests could select what they like and warm it up . It worked very well since I work and can't be a short order cook. Hosts in our town rarely provide breakfast. We got a great bunch of reviews to launch our bnb. Now we occasionally invite guests to have Sunday brunch with us but we don't advertise it. Elaine
Carrie12
Level 2
San Leandro, CA

If I offer to  "serve" breakfast, I would need a Bed and Breakfast license rather than a business license. Don't want the health department involved. So, I put out a variety of continental breakfast stuff out for guests to serve themselves. Often guests have other breakfast plans.

I'm also concerned about offering a full breakfast because we are located in the B & B area of Milwaukee.  We have a separate area for the guests with a small refrigerator.  It has juice, soda, water and yogurt.  There is a microwave, toaster, kettle, and coffee maker.  We have baskets of instant oatmeal, creme of wheat, hot chocolate, apple cidar etc.  There is microwave popcorn and crackers.  I do bake cookies (the usual choclate chip/butterscotch), muffins, brownie bites, scones and banana bread.  Assorted chips available in the evening.  The guests seemed to enjoy the home baking.  I try to be baking something when they are checking in.  It really makes the house smell great.

Hi Deidre ~

This is a really good question since the name is air'bnb' ... and I think most people have given excellent advice. As for us, we want it described clearly so there is not misunderstanding. Our description states: 

" In the mornings there's coffee and teas available as well as light breakfast snacks; we do not cook in the mornings."

Hope this helps 🙂 

Beause I live in Las Vegas, I decided to make a "Vegas Style" buffet.

I even have an area with glasses, chopping board with a knife, a basket with oranges, an orange sqeezer and on the wall cute wood letters saying U SQUEEZE. 

I provide all sorts of warm cooked breakfasts every day different. They seam to love it and my reviews always have mentions to the yummy breakfasts I make every morning. 

Pancakes

Waffles

Club Sandwishes

Eggs 

etc

Wow! You go all the way!

Eve16
Level 2
Santa Monica, CA

We work so we wouldn't rent our place if we had to provide breakfast. So we DON'T click the "breakfast" option in the amenities section of the listing.
Our place has its own kitchen, so we leave coffee, bread, butter, milk, and cereals including granola. (Our very first guest walked off with both bags of expensive granola, so now we say in House Rules that guests are welcome to all food but to please leave leftover supplies for the next guest.)