All my guests love my house, and me....but hate my neighborhood.

Invisible0
Level 5
Atlanta, GA

All my guests love my house, and me....but hate my neighborhood.

So...I have a house in downtown Atlanta. Close to all the main attractions.  Unfortunately, downtown Atlanta means "the hood".  I state in my ad, CLEARLY, that it's a rough area, and it's surrounded by abandonded buildings (housing crisis) and homelessness.  I only started in January as a host, and I'm booked every day through the end of May....but I have no shot of being a superhost...or even maintaining a 4.0.  My reviews are basically, "He's a nice guy and the house is in a great location....BUT...the neighborhood sucks." Then I'm rated a 4...or 3....and even a 2.  AirBNB, emails me telling me to get my rating higher, and even cut my listing 3 times.  Every time I call, they tell me I'm getting great reveiws....but still.....try harder.  WTF am I suppose to do to the 8 mile stretch of properties around me???  My last guest left telling me how much she loved the place and even wanted to extend the rental..... then she gave me a 3 on the ratings...which is kind of like complimenting me, then insulting me.  

So...long story short, is AirBNB just going to terminate me completely?  Because I'm close to publibly replying to these comments with "But...did you die?!?!"

72 Replies 72

Mindy,

How is it that you left this guest review "Aroma and her group were amazing guests and would be welcome back, any time!"

for someone who did not stay at your place?

Did Airbnb screw up by giving  a person who did not pay or stay at your place the right to review your place?

Did the guest actually stay at your place, was an amazing guest to you and then fabricated a deceitful lie?

OR

Did you fabricate the guest review that this group was amazing, even though they did not stay at your place and so were not amazing guests?

Please enlighten us. It is all confusing. 

Hi, Paul

Good questions! It's a strange situation. The guest did not communicate to me that there were any issues until a day or so after what would have been her stay. So I, being naive, went over to check the house and get it ready for the next guest. I had assumed that the guest was just super super clean and decided to leave her a good review. It wasn't until after that was done that I received her request for refund and bad review. 

Mindy, That solves that mystery.

Sorry that guest did not cancel formally and  that Airbnb refunded her money. :{

...and the beat goes on. 

"If I could rate Nicholas, I would give him 5 stars. He was very accommodating during our stay. The reason for the 3 stars is based off of the neighborhood. It was a bit rough, as stated in pervious reviews. With that being said, the house does have 24 hour security cameras which definitely made us feel safe. The location of the house to everything in Atlanta was very convenient. My one suggestion to Nicholas is just to have some pots and pans and things for cooking since there is a kitchen. Otherwise, our stay was great! Thank you for your hospitality."

Un.  Friggin'.  Believable.  (Keeping it clean.)

Did he book your site before you made the changes?

One thing for you to consider and I hope you do it, @Invisible0, is to take all this feedback about location and compile it and send it to ABB.  Get a person (use Twitter.... it's better) to handle your file.

Make the case that for an "inclusive, embracing, we all belong" platform, ABB is aiding and abetting in racial bias.  You can make this case and if you need my help, I will find case law, studies, polls, etc. to support that when "specifically asked" about a location, you are violating Fair Housing Laws in the United States.  A tenant can comment on location but a landlord cannot prompt it.  Make sense?

Do not give up on this.  ABB is indirectly making it difficult for inner city communities to serve as hosting havens.

Let's fight.  I'm in!

@Wendy-and-Frank0

Have you heard that Nicholas's account has been suspended?!!

What is going on?

One could argue that the "location" review constitutes Steering.  A big no-no in Fair Housing.

I've got my gloves on, @Invisible0. But if needed, they can come off.  😉

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Certainly complain, seems a clear breach of the ABB Discrimation policy. You should be able to get the review and 3 starts removed.

David
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Invisible0 

what happend with your listing? It doesn't show any more

Airbnb suspensionI've been suspended for one week..... and I have been escalated to some sort of review board.  Waiting for a call back. 

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B9loQOrhO4etRVRPRmVBWGZ1YTg/view?usp=sharing

@Invisible0 Hope they get you worked out (& apologize for the bother), please keep us posted 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am sorry to hear this - Why have they suspended your account?

@Invisible0    Sorry to hear that.  Interesting article here. I bet you could use it as case to argue your point about location ratings. https://www.airbnbcitizen.com/video-mayors-home-sharings-momentum-benefits-cities/

@Invisible0

That's unbelievable! I hope it works out - you deserve better.

Best Wishes!

Get the fruck out of here!!!!

@Invisible0, this is steering.  This is illegal.  This is block busting.  You are being punished for living in a neighborhood with too many black folks.  There!  I said it!  Time to take the roof off this sucker!