Profile pictures needing to be human

Meagan-and-Wade0
Level 3
Winston-Salem, NC

Profile pictures needing to be human

I have just had an inquiry from a man who's profile picture is of a cat and has no reviews. I asked if he would mind providing a more accurate profile picture of himself since we don't allow pets. Why would Airbnb allow photos of animals when this is a security issue. 

36 Replies 36
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

In simple terms they do not.

David
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Meagan & Wade

It would be my opinion that these profiles should be flagged automatically as according to @David they are not allowed on AirBnb.

Meagan, reject and flag! you have nothing lose but your processions.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow.

Janet79
Level 4
United Kingdom

Hi guys,

I recieved an application to book last year from someone who had a profile picture of a CAKE!  This drives me mad.  I now just explain why its important for me to see a clear photo of the guest who wants to book and ask them to provide one before I will consider hosting them, if any of this a problem, then I will decline their request to book.  I think there are a lot of new account holders on Airbnb who just don't seem to "get it" and need to be educated to the fact that we hosts are opening our homes to complete strangers.  At the end of the day it's your property, so don't be shy to make demands of guests and stick to your guns.  I think you will be surprised at how compliant most people will be and if they're not, do you want them staying anyway? 

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Meagan-and-Wade0 , right on - this is one of my pet peeves.. and it isn't only potential guests, it's also quite a  few hosts who  that, I just answered to a post here in the forum where a host has a dog as her profile picture, then wondered why guests ask if they could bring a dog....

As I go in and out of IB, which makes me feel a bit more apprehensive than a "normal" booking, I made it one of my house rules that guests need to have a clear profile picture of themselves. How else could we ever make sure that the guest that booked is the one showing up at our door steps? I understand that commercial booking entities don't require that, but they get the last name of the guest when they book,  and we only get it after the booking is done.

@David126 , if the profile pic is one of Airbnb's rules, why don't they enforce it then?  surely there is software out there to detect it, no? makes me wonder if the other booking requirements are also handled sloppily.....

@Annette33 i have found out many countries the guests use nonhuman pictures on their ID.

one would thing airbnb facial reconition softwear would catch it.i suppose its just something we as hosts have to relay to the guest.

i turned off IB and made my reservations a min of 2 nights.i have in the past turned down requests from jesus,wedding cake,lassie and a flower.

@Meagan-and-Wade0@Janet79@Cormac0

@Bruce43 , hahaha! so I see you are discriminating against lassie and the wedding cake 😉

I also do a min of 2 days (max 4), occasionally have tried IB, but like the "old" booking system better....

I think I've been fairly close to your place.. went to Kyriat Schmona, on excursion to the Golan Heights when I was in kibbuz Hammakabi (north of Haifa). Another time I went way south, kibbuz grofit,in the negev, a bit north of Eilat. great memories, learned a lot. 

@Annette33 actually im a 10 clicks from  Kyriat Schmona.

and when i came to live in israel 35 years ago i was a diver in elat and grofit it nice how it built on the large hill.

glad you found the sweet spot in booking guests.i suppose that is the trick to becoming a host and holding on to some of our rights to our listings.be well in arizona.i did some work there when i was in my early days of the 70's 

Hello Meagan and Wade!

I have just read your comment on the profile photo for guests. I am in complete agreement with you about having a clear profile photo of your guest  because it is important that you know who is coming to stay in your home. However most of these photos have little resemblance to the person in the flesh.  I confess my profile is of my dog the reason – I live in a small village and I am very well known. I have had people knocking on my door or walking around my property with the excuse of “Your place is for rent can we have a look around?”  This makes me feel uneasy. So I would prefer to stay anonymous. My feelings are that all guest should be rated  the same as the hosts this would weed out the good guest from the bad ones!

Caroline

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Meagan-and-Wade0

a man who's profile picture is of a cat .. I asked if he would mind providing a more accurate profile picture of himself since we don't allow pets.

😄 😄 😄 LOOOL

I just went to a Host2Host conference in Portland,Oregon and had the opportunity to tour the North American headquarters for Airbnb (very nice digs). In order to enter the building we had to sign in on a computer pad and the security guard could see our non-virtual faces, ha!

When I asked about the instant booking by guests with photos of objects instead of them, they said keep writing on this forum and someone who reads these comments may eventually address this issue. 

I was disappointed this was not an obvious top priority.

Ask all your airbnb host friends to complain mutlitple times on this commuinty site about this topic. Like writing to your senators, apparently.

Post your concern multiple times. Airbnb is data driven.

Copy and paste your comment to all areas regarding requiring guest to have accurate photo. (They can change it to an object after initially using real photo.) Create new forum topic headers and post there too. Thanks everyone!

Candie-And-Dan0
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

Great topic and concern.  After reading through all the replies I noticed that only one person wrote how Airbnb isn’t reviewing these NEW guests.  I would venture that it is done via software verification and not human thus allowing images of any sort to be used.  The real question here might be does a human working at Airbnb have the responsibility to check data and images provided by new applicants?  If they are, they’re not doing a very good job!

We have not yet finished our first full year as hosts and do use Instant Book (IB).  The reason is because Dan is home full time therefore available to our guests, and manage our home.  We also IB to increase our hosting opportunities as there are many homes available in Las Vegas for a low premium.  And as it has turned out, we have hosted numerous first time guests who are not sure what to expect so even a low bar is easy to jump.  We treat everyone like we would treat extended family so it works for us so far. 

So, when a guest with a picture of their bird or cat does IB we simply reply to them with our usual greeting but add that it is Aibnb policy to provide a photograph of yourself and ask that they do so immediately.  However, we take it one step further, we ask for the names and relationship of all their guests (spouse, friend, etc.), and have recently started to request that their guest’s images be posted to their profile.  The initial reason for this is that another member of our household has to greet our guests on occasion and we have had several groups of individuals that arrive at different times, in other words the guest that booked the listing isn’t the first to arrive and we need to know what that person looks like in order to let them into our home. It is your home, your listing, your rules, and now you have a full record of the names and images of your guests before they arrive. 

@Candie-And-Dan0 i have done a lot of traveling for work and pleasure and every country in euroupe the law states "passport ID" at any hotel or hostel 

all spelling mistakes are because i cant seem to get autocorrect to work here

Has somebody stolen our meatballs?

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I am becoming more and more convinced that as AirBnB do not provide this information you need a sign in book like any other place of acomodation.

David

I have received a request from someone with a profile picture of a child.  I asked them to send me a current picture and some identification and airbnb appear to be blocking me from receiving it.  I don't know what to do.  Why would they accept a profile picture of child when you need to be 18 to register on the site.  I don't know what to do.  I am not feel trust for the Airbnb site now and why can't I send them a message about this.  I cannot find any direct way of contacting Airbnb so I think I will have to remove my details from the site if I can work out how to do that.