Prejudices and stereotypes are melting .... and we love it :)

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Prejudices and stereotypes are melting .... and we love it :)

Do you remember that feeling, maybe on the begining of your hosting journey, when your loving place was instant booked by 4 young guys? 🙂 Maybee they are from Turkey... or Romania.... or English backpackers... or DJ-s.... or some unconventional artists...? Maybe they were new on ABB, without any review? And you thought OOOMG ! 😞 What will I find after checkout??? 

And then they go and your place is super clean and tidy and your flowers were watered? 🙂

Then you get a booking from two middleage ladies from USA.... or a family from Austria ....  and you were happy happy... until they check out and you had to clean. Or repair. And read their review. 😞

Ooo yes... hosting is full of surprises ...  It's good to trust your gut but not to prejudice. We were pleasantly surprised so many times ... and today again, so I just had to share it 🙂 

21 Replies 21
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Off topic (or not) I just found this on fcb  😄

THESE ARE ACTUAL COMPLAINTS RECEIVED BY "THOMAS COOK VACATIONS" FROM DISSATISFIED CUSTOMERS:

1. "On my holiday to Goa in India, I was disgusted to find that almost every restaurant served curry. I don't like spicy food."

2. "They should not allow topless sunbathing on the beach. It was very distracting for my husband who just wanted to relax."

3. "We went on holiday to Spain and had a problem with the taxi drivers as they were all Spanish."

4. "We booked an excursion to a water park but no-one told us we had to bring our own swimsuits and towels. We assumed it would be included in the price."

5. "The beach was too sandy. We had to clean everything when we returned to our room."

6. "We found the sand was not like the sand in the brochure. Your brochure shows the sand as white but it was more yellow."

7. "It's lazy of the local shopkeepers in Puerto Vallartato close in the afternoons. I often needed to buy things during 'siesta' time -- this should be banned."

8. "No-one told us there would be fish in the water. The children were scared."

9. "Although the brochure said that there was a fully equipped kitchen, there was no egg-slicer in the drawers."

10. "I think it should be explained in the brochure that the local convenience store does not sell proper biscuits like custard creams or ginger nuts."

11. "The roads were uneven and bumpy, so we could not read the local guide book during the bus ride to the resort. Because of this, we were unaware of many things that would have made our holiday more fun."

12. "It took us nine hours to fly home from Jamaica to England. It took the Americans only three hours to get home. This seems unfair."

13. "I compared the size of our one-bedroom suite to our friends' three-bedroom and ours was significantly smaller."

14. "The brochure stated: 'No hairdressers at the resort.' We're trainee hairdressers and we think they knew and made us wait longer for service."

15. "When we were in Spain, there were too many Spanish people there. The receptionist spoke Spanish, the food was Spanish. No one told us that there would be so many foreigners."

16. "We had to line up outside to catch the boat and there was no air-conditioning."

17. "It is your duty as a tour operator to advise us of noisy or unruly guests before we travel."

18. "I was bitten by a mosquito. The brochure did not mention mosquitoes."

19. "My fiancée and I requested twin-beds when we booked, but instead we were placed in a room with a king bed. We now hold you responsible and want to be re-reimbursed for the fact that I became pregnant. This would not have happened if you had put us in the room that we booked."

BE AWARE ...THEY WALK AMONG US and THEY VOTE!

Marianna30
Level 2
Montesilvano, Italy

Hi Branka & Silvia,

sorry for bothering you. I just read this post about stereotypes and prejudice and, since I am writing my thesis about the relationship between public values and Airbnb (in particular referring to discriminatory events from the side of hosts) I immediately thought that you are perfect for the target that I'm looking for.  I would therefore please you to fill in this survey . It would really really help me. Thank you anyway and have a nice evening 🙂 https://goo.gl/forms/h0mcOq1IVadaJFhS2

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Hi @Branka-and-Silvia0
I have no prejudice against any kind of guests, except for the ones who break the house rules! 🙂
From my experience, I have noticed that wherever the guests are from, 99% of them are great guests.
As for the reviews, it is somewhat unpredictable. Anyway I have developed my "review sensor" to predict what is coming after check out.  Since the first contact, It is possible to notice if some guest is difficult to deal with.
I have notice that easy-going and friendly people usually write great reviews. Thy are optmistic and wants to have a good time.
On the other hand, I have notice that people that are conceited and do not make an effort to be friendly, usually does not write great reviews and usually make an effort to find some cons to depreciate the accomodation.
I think some of this kind of conceited people are very unhappy. Whatever is the place they go, they will find something to criticize, sometimes badly. It is their modus operandi.

@J-Renato0 yes, yes we noticed that too 🙂

They don't have to be conceited, but just unfriendly and you feel it at first sight. Anywhere they go they will be unhappy it's inside them. Then they blame the city, the apartment, the host...

but sometimes they look normal when they come and then.. surprise! Those are the worst kind .. undercover unhappy people 😄

Lol...@ undercover unhappy people!

Dawn-And-Toby0
Level 3
Pensacola, FL

I had a young couple from Saudi Arabia and they also happened to be one of my first guests. I was a bit nervous. I will say they were probably one of my favorite guests ever!! They were soooo appreciative of everything and were in love with my little camper. They also visited our property on the water and we all kayaked for hours!! The gentleman kept asking if they could return in March with his father who was coming in the visit from Saudi Arabia....well, OF COURSE!! What great experienes we have had. 

Whenever East comes to the West a great time is guaranteed for all..... respect for your home / appreciation and they want to share their joy with you.... even if you insist on giving them their privacy... they always try to include you in their activities......Happy hosting.

Barbara453
Level 3
Pompano Beach, FL

I know what you talking about people are so different and often you are pleasantly surprised and other times you slightly shocked......Weather there is a need to host or you just simply enjoy Hosting  just "bite the bullet" and go with the flow and soon it will begin to be most enjoyable /profitable .... " you could only please some of the people some of the time" even if you try " All of the time."

Eva170
Level 5
Hollywood, FL

Thanks for this post, it is nice to hear the positive experiences of other hosts. I will be starting to host in the next few months and I am hoping my first guests will be good ones.

Eva, even if you think your home may not be ready, make the jump. Start now. You will always make little adjustments as you see (or your guests see ) fit. Ask them too. Ask your first few guests what could be different. And, sleep where your guests will sleep just once so you can walk through the process and pick out what needs changing. You don't have to be perfect. 

I have found that no matter how much I clean I always notice a little dust here or there somewhere, lurking in a corner somewhere that I never touched for 15 years. You will get it. It becomes like a smooth oiled machine. 

Thank you for the encouragement! I would start right now if I didn't still have a tenant so I have to wait for them to move out and then furnish the rooms before I am ready for guests. But I am looking forward to making this transition. I saw your listing in Pensacola, looks like a great place to stay if we ever come up that way 🙂

Lilian20
Level 10
Argelès-sur-Mer, France

Hello  @Branka-and-Silvia0 - thank you so much for that story about the scary group even taking care of the flowers. Love it ! 

Carla200
Level 1
University Place, WA

I'm new to hosting and a bit leary. Im happy to hear in one comment the 90% of ppl are great. Any sage advice for a newbie?

Hi Carla, just put your self in the guests place.... "how would I like to be welcomed, treated, common every day courtesy," goes a long way.have every area as neat and tidy as possible,always have several bottles of water on your counter top,and a bowl of fresh fruit in clear view,these things also says WELCOME.... don't focus (anticipate)  bad guest......if there are kids..a few snacks won't hurt,.....How was your night? Is the tempreture as you like it?.....you will get the hang of it....I can go on and on but I'll stop now....Happy hosting.