How to appeal decision that a review did not violate content policy

Kelly51
Level 1
Jacksonville, FL

How to appeal decision that a review did not violate content policy

We had a recent guest who stayed without apparent issue.  After we gave her review, her review indicated that our 7 year old daughter was a racist.  We asked customer service to remove the offending sentence, and was denied.

As a reminder the content policy states:

1. Reviews unrelated to the actual reservation (ex: political, religious, or social commentary).
  2. Content that endorses or promotes illegal or harmful activity or violence, or is profane, vulgar, obscene, defamatory, threatening, or discriminatory.

The offending sentence is:

(& for some reason, her daughters were staring @ me like they never seen anybody like me? One daughter could barely get going into the house without Kelly saying "Come On" because she was staring @ me so hard?).

Clearly to me, this is unrelated to the reservation, and defamatory to my minor child.  Additionally, I do not like any information regarding my children on the internet, whether or not the company believes it is properly controlled.

Of course, customer service will not let me change my review of the guest to warn future hosts of her behaviour. 

Any recourse for me?  I don't mind the rest of the review, or the low marks.  I just don't want my minor children involved in a review.

Thanks

5 Replies 5
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

I don't have any help about how Air BNB makes decisions about review removal but I wonder if you added a comment to the guest review that responds to the objectionable content.  Potential guests will see your response and make up their minds about the validity of the guest review.

Deborah1
Level 10
Beaufort, SC

I would call Airbnb again and ask to talk with a manager. Comments regarding a child should not be in the review. I would insist that it be removed, at least that sentence. I would not respond to it publically since that will just bring attention to it. If I were reading it, I would think much more negatively about the person writing it and than about a child's reaction.

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Kelly51, I have read your reviews (including this one) and I would not see it as reflecting badly on you, more on the guest. I agree that children should be kept out of it but they were part of the hosting experience. Maybe your child was looking because the guest looked extraordinary in some way, and I am not talking colour here. Even an odd hairstyle can make children stare, it is what they DO. Acne? Stare. Odd skirt or shoes? Stare. Perhaps the guest was exceptionally beautiful? Stare. Your girl will grow up and learn to look in a more discreet way, like adults. Eventually. Hosting a variety of guests will be good for her, as she will get to meet all kinds of guests.

I also read the other reviews that guest had received elsewhere and they are not that brilliant, including breaking house rules.

I would not worry about it. Your other reviews are very good, the listing clearly says ''garage'', nothing to hide. She didn't find you welcoming? Everyone else did.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I would challenge this - outrageous to bring a child into the review commentary. And it's clear reading your reviews that the guest was a little challenging so overall I can't see it doing any damage to your listing, but the principle you state is the right one...

Andrée2
Level 10
Portland, OR

I agree with @Deborah1 and @Gerry-And-Rashid0: Contact Airbnb and remind a manager of their own defaming portion of their policy. Children don't know how to edit their actions when they are processing their thoughts. Their brains are not that developed at that age and that's part of the beauty of being a child...they don't let us get away with avoiding the obvious. My assumption is they hadn't seen anyone like your guest. I get this a lot and smile and let them stare at me all they want. That will help them to be more likely to be open to different kinds of people because they feel more familiar with them.