How has hosting affected your pets?

MicheleandLouw0
Level 10
Maun, Botswana

How has hosting affected your pets?

As a dog owner I was wondering how your hosting has effected your pets? I have 3 dogs living on my property. Most guests treat my loving dogs very well. I just find that that sometimes my dogs are too friendly to my guests and go to the cottage to visit my guests when I am out or busy. Maybe they are getting a bit confused who welcomes them visiting the cottage and who doesn't. Luckily so far my guests have not complained about them and most of them seem to enjoy my dogs’ company. I do tell my guest to please be firm with the dogs should they become a nuisance. I am also thinking to put it in my house rules that guests should  not feed my dogs so that they do not go beg at the cottage  for food from other guests. I am strict with my dogs and never feed them leftovers from the table. I would like to hear how your hosting has affected house pets. It will be very interesting to learn from other hosts.

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@MicheleandLouw0  This is a lovely topic.  Thank you for thinking of it.  I have a single dog and my listing is a shared space.  I always greet the guests because I want to ensure I introduce the guests to  my dog.  I am sure you do the same even if the guests are in a separate lodging.  I never thought to add a rule about feeding my dog, but it is a good idea.  Dog lovers have different ideas about what a dog can eat and sometimes what is given as a gesture of caring turns out not to be good for your dog.  I do instruct the guests to be sure to close their door at night or a very cold nose might wake them up!

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

We rent a guest room in our house and our 3-year-old pup loves meeting new people.  All the extra pets she can get from additional hands in the house is all the better for her.  I am firm with her to leave the guests be if she's being too friendly or following them around.  Most of the time the guests say, "No, it's OK!"  I also let my guests know they can be firm with her, as she is very obedient and will listen to most commands.  We added wording to our profile to the effect of "Our pets are often home when we are not, so it's important our guests are comfortable being around animals."  Sometimes a dog greeting you at the door can be offputting - when we're home, we can instruct her to leave the guests alone, but if they come home when we are not home, we want to be sure the guest is comfortable with a happy-to-greet-you dog.  Both our dog and cat are often complimented in our reviews, so it's a win-win for us. 🙂

[Link hidden]

Hi! I am considering getting a puppy and am currently running an Airbnb in a shared space. Your thoughts all seem very positive about this situation. 🙂 I'm hoping the constant in and out of guests will naturally socialize her so it won't be strange when someone new comes in the door. Has having a pup caused any issues? 

Thanks!

Melissa 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

In my last place I had a cat as well as dog, the dog was not allowed loose so no problem but some guests would feed the cat. As a result, she considered all the guests as one continuous person and she would sit and yowl outside their window to be fed. Or she would bring them something she killed to their front door as a thanks for the snack yesterday, which was different guests. I would be very quick and walk past their door first thing just to see if she had been delivering.

It was a farm type property and the cat was a good hunter. Half a snake, anyone? Yum yum.

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

We have 7 dogs, our permanent tenants have 3 dogs and we encourage guests to bring dogs.  Our guest this week was a professional wildlife manager with 5 hounds!  (They stayed in his vehicle and in our camper's little fenced yard and went away all day to help the wildlife service track the mountain lions.  No cats are harmed in the process.)

We usually keep our dogs in our house at night.  We also have a fenced yard behind the garage so if they go out at night they don't go over by the camper.  In the daytime they run in and out if we are home. One is a biter and when we have guests he is either in the house/separate yard or wearing a basket muzzle.  Most of our guests love dogs and most of our dogs love guests.

The guests have a deck and yard area that is also fenced so our dogs can be easily kept out.  One lovely couple brought the dogs several toys and biscuits and invited their favorite dog to come onto their deck when they were at home.

I have had issues. One guest who was really weird. He was weird to begin with and did not get less weird during his stay.  His dog kept getting loose from him and he would not notice. I kept bringing her back.  Clueless really that the dog was not safe if unattended on a ranch.  Also my German Shepherd watchdog took a dislike to him (she was probably right on) and jumped on his truck which left the tiniest scratch on an old beat up truck and he over reacted.  However it was indeed 'my fault' and when I offered to pay for repairs he calmed down.  He never did ask for compensation. He was really strange.  I was going around cleaning up dog poop in the common area and noticed there was poop in his yard so I cleaned it.  He said 'oh no, I would have done that' and I said, 'no problem, I was going by and noticed it so just thought I'd pick it up.'  Then he didn't clean any of the poop the rest of his stay and left it all in the yard for me.  Guess he wanted his money's worth.

Another couple booked at the last minute while traveling through and although they knew about the dogs and told me they liked dogs it was clear from the wife's behavior that she did not like them and was afraid of them.  So we quickly brought them inside and didn't let them back out until they were gone.

A nice family left their small dog unattended in the yard (against house rules) and he was out of the fence (not dog proof and not represented as dog proof) in 5 minutes.  I called them and they were surprised that blocking the gap in the fence with a duffle bag had not worked.  Then they said they couldn't come back to get him because they were going somewhere that he could not go.  After that I tighted up my house rules and reiterate them firmly.  No problems since then.

Our best dog guest was an agility competitor with three cute little highly trained rat terriers.  She stayed two days, had dinner with us and was so happy with the camper and yard for her dogs.  The houndsman guest is pretty great also.  Five hounds, goes to bed at 7 and gets up at 4, leaves at 530 am and back in late afternoon.  I have not seen or heard him or the hounds in the entire time he has been here (because I get up at 7 and am away at work until 7 pm most days.)

I think the key to having dogs is having clear DOG RULES and making the dogs really obvious in your listing photos and description.

Kerrin

Hello!

I have three cats and at the start I think they found airbnb a bit stressful but now they are used to it.

I clearly state that I have cats and include pictures on my profile so there's no surprise about how fluffy they are. In my experience this has attracted people who would like to stay with a cat. 

When we greet our guests we also tell them about our cats and how to treat them (i.e. no feeding, no letting them out if we're not home etc). There haven't been any misunderstandings yet.

Our cats are now very curious about our new  guests so we always need to warn them the cats will sleep in their room if the door isn't closed. This often makes people laugh and they will sometimes keep their door open on purpose. Almost every guest is quite pleased when they see the cats waiting at their door and enjoy the napping company.