Enhancement Request : Your Opinions?

Enhancement Request : Your Opinions?

hello, world 

This is a constructive critisim / feedback / enhancment request that I wanted to get your opinion on. 

As a newbie, I may have an outsider's view of this, but I feel that if AirBNB allowed hosts to more properly define/customize their rentals with how many "adult" beds you have available and how many "children" beds you have available, it would SAVE a lot of TRAVELLERS from having a NEGATIVE experience of Airbnb.

You see, our home allows for a max of 6 adults, and max of 4 children. The bunk beds are for children only. Which we have clearly put in our listing in writing.

BUT for our listing to show up in a search when someone is searching for this combo (6 adults, 4 children), we only have the 1 setting of "accommodates' 10. 

We have had over 20 inquiries in 1 month of groups of 8-10 adults wanting to stay at our home. We have to respectfully say sorry, that we cannot accomodate them BUT in my opinion, they should have never been presented with our home. And no matter how respectfully I say sorry, you know that the traveller is still dispointed .

Constructive Critisism/ Enhancement Request: The traveller gets to customize there search with how many adults and children they are travelling with: Why Not allow the Host's to also customize how many adults and children they can accomodate?

World: What's your thoughts?

4 Replies 4

You can list your enhancement idea in Host Voice.  It's under the "Discuss" tab at the top of the forum page.  

oh wow! Thank you! Will do!

Paul154
Level 10
Seattle, WA

Your situation is unique and so probably is not in Airbnb's radar. Most hosts don't have your problem.

Just curious, Why won't you  rent to adults who use bunk beds?

Is there a weight limitation? Size?  Why do you insist  that a  family has exactly 4 children? 

Some adults are small. Some adults want their own small bed or come from cultures that are used to this sleeping arrangement.

I am a 55 year old American who lives in the land of the Super-Size everything. Your situation reminds me of my shame I endure when I order the "Kiddy Size" food selection on a menu - Even though it is the perfect size for me! Foolishly I feel like I am breaking the rules, even though it is their marketing which is poor.

Of course this is Airbnb and you are welcome to market your place as you see fit. Your inquiry message that tells your guest your limits is your best recourse and you will not risk a poor rating by doing it timely. But it seems to me you are losing a market opportunity

Hi Paul,

It's a good point - and I don;t think I was too clear about the enhancement. 

I think something that would allow us to place a MAX on adults and MAX on children. You can have any combination of both, but not over that max of each. 

My problem is that we are under the radar in Warren, RI and are actually making our case to the Town of Warren Zoning board on 3/15/2017. The way the town of Warren's ordinance is written, there is nothing that is preventing us from renting our single fmaily home "short term" (that I can find), other than a "household" is defined as no more than 3 unrelated adults in the zoning ordinance. So it's OK to rent to families in the town, group of friends -not so much. 

That said, our neighbor complained that there was "transient" use at the home (after renting it just once! and letting a co worker stay there for free during the same weekend) and the zoning offer called me to threat us of being in violation of the zoning ordinance by changing the use to "hotel". That said, a "Hotel" is clearly defined in the ordinace as having a "common public entrance" and "containing units without kitchen facilities". It's going to be an uphill battle, but we are bring it up to the Zoning Board on 3/15/2017 to see what they say.

So long story short: our Town has restrictions on what a household is, which is why we can only rent to a certain amount of adults and children to try and limit it to families.