Block Entire Calendar Except Certain Dates

Abhineet0
Level 1
Nadi, Fiji

Block Entire Calendar Except Certain Dates

My place is no longer available from July 2016. How do I reflect this in my listing calendar?

If I choose the "arrive within 3 months" option, a new date keeps becoming available 3 months from now on a daily basis and I have to block it manually every day. Plus, there is the chance that someone may book my place in that small window of it becoming available and me blocking it (it just happened!).

Any help appreciated.

Abhi

9 Replies 9
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Abhineet0 I totally understand your situation.  I just want to have guests arrive within 4 months so I have to select the 6 month availability and then block off two months prior.  And, yes, I have to unblock dates as they fall into the 4 month window and then block off the dates that are within the 6 month automatic window.  

I check and edit my calendar on a daily basis, and although it is a pain, it just takes a few seconds and it suits my comfort level better. 

I really don't know of any alternative or a means to make it automatic, unfortunately!  😞

@Clare0 Thanks for your reply. Nice to know I'm not the only one in this situation.

I have been doing the same as you.

However, recently ONE guy managed to get through the window between the next date becoming available and me blocking the date! Now, if I cancel the booking I get penalised and lose my Superhost status. I've kindly requested him to cancel from his side but he instead 'requested me to cancel'.

Don't know what to fix this situation because of Airbnb's calendar sillyness.

This issue has been resolved with help from an Airbnb staff. They suggested to

1) remove the "arrive within x months" criteria thus opening all times on the calendar

2) select the first date of unavailability

3) in the right-hand info box, the end date of the selection can be manually selected till the 'end of time' i.e. April 2019 as of this stage.

4) Presto! All dates are now blocked until then and there is no automatic window to deal with.

@Clare0: Unfortunately, this doesn't solve your problem completely as you yourself have a moving window of availability, unlike me. However, with this solution you only have to do half the work i.e. make the 4-month window dates available, and not make the 6-month ones blocked.

Wow! @Abhineet0, that's a really neat trick! Can you send me a screen shot of your Availability Settings so I can see exactly where the first date of unavailability goes? Or, if Airbnb sent you written instructions, can you copy them for me?  I'd like to have them for my own use as well as for helping others.

Thanks so much for sharing!

@Clare0, find the screen shot of my calendar below. Simply select your first date of unavailability by clicking on the date itself and enter the last date manually in the box.

Instructions I received as follows:

"Regarding the timing of the listing, my recommendation is to remove the option "within in 3 months" and block future dates manually.
To do this, simply bring out change page of your listing, select the first day that you want to block and the calendar appears on the right. Following loaded in blocked button and you select the end date on the calendar that also appeared on the screen. Finally, click save changes button. Note: there are only available dates on the calendar until April 2019."

Calendar Snippet

@Abhineet0 DUUH! Why didn't you and I see that?  Geez! So simple!  Thanks so much!

Yes, I felt pretty stupid too having not realised that. *sigh*

No worries.

Airbnb is NOT a user friendly interface.

Abhineet - you are the last person to say "duh" at least you figured out THEIR crazy system.

Because I'm new to Airbhb, I'm going to have to sit down and re-read and study and relearn and go through step by step to figure out how I can not get requests for 2 months in advance.  And for a new person like me, "declining" really hurts my stats.

@Laurie22 Actually it was me saying Duh!  🙂  Are you trying to limit reservations beyond 2 months?   I limit mine up to 4 months which doesn't fit nicely into the Availability Settings.  Here's what I suggest you do:

Go to your calendar and click on July 1.  In the box to the right, it will give you a date range.  Select Blocked.  The start date should be July 1 and the end date should be some date in 2017 ( I use April 2017).  Once you've done that, all dates beyond July 1 will be blocked. 

As days go by, go back and unblock days you want to become available.  For instance, on May 4 you might want to unblock July 1 -4.

Yes, I realize that this requires calendar maintenance, but it suits my comfort level.   

See if it works for you!