extra guest charge-brought kids

Tiare-and-Alfi0
Level 2
Saint Augustine, FL

extra guest charge-brought kids

extra guest charge-une​xpected children

I have guests who booked for four and said they wanted to bring their child.   We ususally do not host children but thought one might be ok- but they showed up with TWO small.  First they claimed I misundetstoond and then when I showed them their messages they said it was no big deal and most did not count children.  Which all of us do. They flew here- I bet the airline counted:)

The children were bad (terrible) from check in- jumping on every piece of furniture and they were so noisy on the first night, I had to contact them to keep the children from jumping as well as running around on the furniture on the 2nd floor deck unattended.  Clearly stated in our rulse as a big no-no. We live on the ground floor and hosted for over a year and had family live above us and have lived in the home for over 50 years.  We had ever heard noise like this and had to assume they were jumping off furniture- more noise than during construction! When my housekeeper cleanend midway thru the two week, the entire home had been re- arranged assumedly to coral the children.  It was not too dirty but very very used. They had used most every pan in the kitchen and have made bags of garbage- probably form diapers. Used the day bed and the extra sheets. We are quiet concrenred at how it will look when they depart.  They have been hard to reach and snarky when asking for things. ( they wanted to know if I could give them more of the cheap toilet paper we provided and asked guests to use in the rules. - Scott septic safe special $$$ TP that we use as we are on septic).

We now feel we are due the extra guest fee for the extra child.  And possibly may have to make a request for damage repair.  Can we request the extra guest fee at the end of he reservations?  At this point, we just want them to depart with no drama and no additional damage. 

We were careful to document the surprise extra guests in our Airbnb message system and Airbnb has confirmed their original request and corresponding messages stated one child.  I feel lied to and used. This is a very nice home and not child friendly at all. I think the owe me the fee.

9 Replies 9
Luis-and-Tati0
Level 10
New York, NY

Hi @Tiare-and-Alfi0

Tough situation here...

Although I'm siding with you, everything should be agreed before or at the check-in... As well you should more explicit rules on your listing description...

Your guest is clearly and intentionally trying (and successfully) getting more than he paid for...

If your house is for 4 guests you should allow only 4 guests and if you to accept more than 4 guests you should charged a extra guest fee before or at the time they checked in... It's unfair to change the rules of the game after the game has already started...

On your listing you don't fees for extra guests, nor do you prohibit kids... Certainly for the parents the kids are most well behaved cutie pie... Not necessarily this will be the same for you...

You can ask for $$ using the resolution center for the extra cleaning and the extra guest, you may try Airbnb and see which side they will be... And you certainly can ask for $$ for damages at your house, just make sure to document and send all damages and receipts for repair...

Luis

Hi Lusi, I actually do have extra guest fees in my listing.  It's $20  per guest.  And while I don't post the fact we prefer not children, we really screen guests before accepting.  We also explain that we live below as well as set our expectations in the response email to include our main rules that guest seem to think are ok to break .  We ask that they confirm they understand an accept these rules before we will accept.  I have ferreted out a few hidden agendas that way. And too, we actually will take children.  It's a great home and really pretty touch despite it looks pretty.  But we ask parents in advace if they can manage their children in a home above the hosts. And we have had some very wondeful families that we so enjoyed hosting. But we really prefer to host two couples of our own age but we also do this for inome. So we have to be flexible.

This fellow said all the right things and if he had arrived with a dog to the no pets allowed home,(has happened) we would have not even let him check in.  But he idicated I missunderstood him and standing there with my husband (the pushover) and the kids running straight into the house, I was outnumbered.  But I imediatly checked and he did say one.  I discussed all of this on the Airbnb message board to document.

I chalk most of these exeriences off as lessons learned.  I have hosted almost a year to the day and I just recently discovered the community boards.  Just being able to talk to someone else in the same boat is invaluable, even if I don't get any extra money but end up just adding a new rule to my book:)

Hi @Tiare-and-Alfi0

Yes, every booking is a lesson learned! Good or bad...

You may want to double check your listing and re enter the extra guest fee, it's not showing up...

Luisps1.png

I acutally verified it when you mentioned it and it is in my terms. Not sure why it does not show up  on that front page. I did not check there but will see whats up.

Thanks! 

Polly6
Level 2
Oceanside, CA

Tiare, good on you for confronting them immediately, regardless of the outcome. I had 2 guests who asked , after they checked in, if the sister could stay. I just said yes, but didn't mention the extra guest fee. I don't know why except that I'm a pushover too. I've done my share of shoving 6 people into one hotel room and I tend to be over sympathetic. You inspired me with your story.
thank you for sharing it.

When I first started hosting I was too intimidated to ask to be paid for an additional guest who showed up unannounced.  Now I tell them it's fine, and remind them there's a $30 per night charge.  I've never had a problem collecting.

As for children, this is a problem for me.  My listing says not suitable for children, but Airbnb says we have to take infants (0-2 years) without charge.  This is unfair.  I have found guests with babies/toddlers use more of everything.  Water, towels, soap, shampoo, electricity, etc..  and they are usually here a lot more than adult guests.  I just got a request from a man showed only one guest, but says it's for him, his wife and their toddler daughter.  It's for Christmas week, and he asked for a discount!  I asked him how old his daughter is, and if she's older than two I don't think he'll be staying, because he won't want to pay the extra $30 per night.  

Since Airbnb says we can't charge for infants, does that mean we have to accept them at all?  My place really isn't suitable for children, especially toddlers.

@Mary167  It is absolutely not true that you can not charge for under 2. I do and AirBnB has actually backed me up on this when 1 guest refused to pay for her 2 infants under 2 stating that it was against AirBnB's rules for me to charge for them. She ended up canceling which I think was a good thing for me. She was going to be nothing, but trouble. Here is what I have in my house rules and like I said AirBnB agreed that I could charge her as I stated it in my rules.

All children are welcome, but children/infants will need to be counted in the guest count as paying guests. If your booking is over 8 guests when infants are counted, please Include infants under 2 years in the child guest count rather than in the infant guest count. I provide many amenities just for them Pack and Play crib's, bouncy seats, moniters, plates, cups, cutlery, toys and games, highchairs, booster seats, etc. all of which must be cleaned and disinfected after use.

Thanks, Letti.

Airbnb is so inconsistent with this.  They did contact hosts two years ago saying this was the new rule, that we can't charge for infants.  They didn't say if we can refuse them.  I've phoned and asked them and been given different answers.  

This prospective guest replied that his daughter is 2 and that she sleeps with them.  I responded that I've had problems in the past with a ruined mattress and hope that wouldn't be an issue with them.  I also told them that I can't give them a discount, that it's Christmas, and that I will have to pay someone extra to clean when they leave (December 26) because I have guests checking in that day.  I said I understood if that doesn't work for him.

I haven't heard back from him so I hope that means he's decided against staying here.  I've never declined guests and I'm not sure if I'm allowed to do that without penalty, so I feel better if it's his decision.  It bothers me that he wanted to book for just 1 adult when it's 2 adults and a toddler.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@Tair

You have rules regarding hosting of children, please stick to them.

Its a bit off for a guest to make a booking under false pretences and then start changing the goal posts after the booking.

Please Phone air bnb , explain your situation and get air bnb to cancel this booking without any financial penalty to you or your listing.

Get air bnb to communicate directly with these entitled guests with your instructions.

To me this booking screams red flag= give an inch and take a mile.

Over to you now.