Instant booking: Plus or Minus?

Instant booking: Plus or Minus?

I am a rather new host, and 'accidentally' had the instant book feature turned on for my second booking. I prefer to message at length with my prospective 'roommate' as this is a long term (3 months plus) shared house situation. I did not have the opportunity to do so with my last guest, who did book instantly - luckily he turned out to be delightful. Is it worth turning instant book on again for the visibility it affords? I received more inquiries as a result of this feature. Can you decline an instant booking after conversing with the prospective guest? PS Instant booking is turned off now in my account, and I do feel more comfortable.

29 Replies 29
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Alberta12  I am in the family of instant booking can be your friend group. You can require many options that they must have to use it like government ID, positive reviews from other hosts and some other choices. You get a free get of jail card with it if your not comfortable with a guest you can call AirBnB and cancel penalty free. A large majority of people are instant gradification types, the want to book when they want to book, not wait around for some host to finally respond to them. Between instant booking and my Strict cancellation policy I can weed out anyone I don't want without too much of an issue. Just my humble opinion. Others will feel differently. 

Hi @Alberta12, I'm in agreement with @Letti0 and the way she's set down her rules.

No question, you'll get more lookings and bookings with IB, and if you are doing this as a source of income, this is a consideration.

My interest is pretty much cultural--sharing!

I think I've also weeded out the cheapie-weirdos with my pricing.  Any other weirdos the likes of which I've read too much about... unlikely they would be a problem for me.

Best,

Kim

Kimberly, 

Can you tell me more about the pricing strategy you have found to work for you? 

@Alberta12, you are asking a lot of the right questions!  Heck, I'm learning from this!

@Letti0is definitely your expert in this thread. I have a different agenda than most.  I am really only doing this for the social/cultural exchange--regardless where someone is from.  I was (literally) brought up in a host/guest environment, my entire life.  (Not exaggerating!)  I just like it.  I have a super pretty home and room to share.  This is fun.  The extra $ is cool, but that's not my motivator, and out of my fee, only a small portion stays with me because I hire help, before and after.   

When anyone stays here, they are my guest.  No one cleans.  No one lifts a finger.  And no cleaning deposit.

If a guest forgot something, guaranteed, I have it and it's theirs at no charge. 

I have a strict cancellation policy.  I don't like the concept of IB because of that 'instant gratification' attitude that seems to come with it.  Hey, once you're in my home, you will have such a great experience.  Period.  And I really like knowing a bit about folks and their expectations--make sure it's a fit.  I think my max stay is 3 nights.  

Insurance doesn't cost me anything extra because I was so upfront with my company AND the underwriter... comfortable with me because of my attitude and experience... except that I can't cook.  (They must have talked to my husband.)  😉  Not really true at all, but liability-wise,  I totally understand.

All this said (HAHA, you got a NOVEL!), I've priced myself higher than just about anyone in the county that I'm aware of.   It's a bit lower than a nice hotel, but it's my house, and a sweet, semi private (of course, with truly private areas) environment that I'm sharing.   Sharing is a good word. For me.

Best,

Kim

Letti, a couple of questions to you, as you seem to have a lot more experience than I: I have always requested a Government ID, but - at your earliest convenience-please clarify something you posted elsewhere: 

"You do not get copy unless you request it in your house rules like I do with a signed  rental agreement."

1. In my experience, house rules and other information I provided have not been carefully reviewed by guests -one example is I clearly state that I have animals and my last guest did not know this. My guess is that most only look at pics. So how do you handle getting ID copy and rental agreement? Is that arranged through airbnb? 

2. I have drafted a rental agreement, but have not used it yet. Might you suggest one?

3. Not sure how to use the get out of jail free card, and I have not located a phone number for airbnb.

Thanks in advance for your time.

@Alberta12  I use the AirBnB guest email located right under their profile picture on the reservation confirmation and send a pdf of the rental agreement. The guest then send it back to me via the AirBnB host email with a pucture of their government ID. I would give you a copy of my rental agreement, but it's not really designed for a shared environment it was written with an etire house in mind. The get out of jail card basically means that you can call AirBnB if you are uncomfortable with any booking and cancel penalty free. Here's the phone number for you.

AirBnB number:

United States and Canada

+1-415-800-5959
+1-855-424-7262 (toll-free)

Another question: I need advice on a strict cancellation policy.

@Alberta12  I have a Strict policy, so I don't get wishy washy guests that cancel or change reservations because it's going to cost them a lot to do so. It gets the serious bookings and guests. A Moderate policy at least stops last minute cancellations and changes as the guest has some costs to cancel or change at the last minute. A Flexible policy is ridicuous to have they can cancel and change willy nilly and you get nothing, but open calendar dates usually at the last minute that can not be rebooked for the most part. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

I prefer instant booking; both as a guest and host. As a host I don’t want to beat the ticking clock and drop everything to respond. When the guest books, they’re confirmed, simple as that. I can start a dialog with them then if I need to. I can “restrict” certain bookings by using different features like price changes, minimum and maximum night restrictions, booking with a government ID, not allowing same day bookings, etc. I’ve never had a problem with instant booking.

Hello I’m very new here.. how do you do the booking with a government ID?  Do they take a pic and send to you? 

@Rosalva2  You need to select it as a choice on your listing requirements. Go to Listing, then Booking Settings and Edit Guest Requirements you can select Government ID required there. Don't forget to save it. You do not get copy unless you request it in your house rules like I do with a signed  rental agreement. 

Thanks Emilia,

Let me pick your brain-can you give me a quick example how have you successfully used price changes, minimum/maximum night restrictions and why these features have been helpful in finding a compatable guest? Also, is your listing a shared home? Thanks for contacting me.

@Alberta12 - 

This doesn’t actually help to pre-screen guests but I think it helps me to get the guests I want and the ones that fit the right parameters, For instance, I live in small university town with an in-law studio attached to my house. For graduation weekend, I set a 3-night minimum and jack my price very high (the highest for the whole year.) I want parents or family members coming in for graduation because if you just randomly happen to be in town that weekend it will be miserable (horrible traffic, influx of thousands of people, no parking, etc.) With a high price I think I ward off all those “passing through-ers” that I usually get and with a 3-night minimum prevent any weekend travelers who would be traveling to the area to visit the coast. If someone not affiliated with graduation were to instant book I would warn them immediately and let them know this may not be the best weekend for them, probably asking them to cancel. From what I’ve read on this forum, a lot of hosts do not like instance book because they like to pick and choose their guests based on what works best for them. Declining a one-night booking because they are holding out for four nights or declining a booking because they have not yet updated the rate to a higher price for a particular timeframe. I don't like that as a host and especially as a guest.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

hello @Alberta @Letti @Emilia42@Kimberly54@Rosalva

I've IB on but I've learnt my lesson from my first couple of Guests, one who wasn't pleasant at all and have included information to do with IB and it been polite to include a msg with some info about themselves if doing an IB.

I no longer due to the unfortunate experience accept longer term IB as my personal safety comes first, as it should your own.

Maybe include some info in your listing so you can at least screen potential longer term Guests for peace of mind

All the best from Auckland, Nieuw Zeeland/ New Zealand