When we decline someone for having children, does that hurt our rating?

Mark51
Level 2
South Burlington, VT

When we decline someone for having children, does that hurt our rating?

We list our space as not accommodating children. People request bookings and ask if they can bring their toddler if they bring their own bed. We decline. Our space usually comes up first in searches. But after we decline a child, my wife noticed that our space is way down the list.

What I noticed is that I can put in the filter that I have children, and my space still shows up as the number one choice, when we have specified: "no children". What's up? Why is it malfunctioning like that?

10 Replies 10
Farah1
Level 10
Seattle, WA

@Mark51 did you turn off the "suitable for children" feature in your house rules section?

Mark51
Level 2
South Burlington, VT

Yes, it is turned off. So anyone who has children with them has to ask us if we will make an exception. Anyone without children can instantly book. I wish they wouldn't let the people with children see our listing. But we don't have any control of that. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Mark51 I noticed that the position of my listing changes no metter what I do and how often my listing is updated .  Views drop and I don't get any bookings for days and then I suddenly I get few bookings or inquiries in one day. 

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

If the child is in the 0 - 2 age catagory (Infant) and a couple searches the parameters "2 Adults / 1 Infant" your place will come up as an option because Airbnb does not consider a person 0 - 2 years old (Infants) to be a guest. In fact, they advertise that "Infants" stay for free. I was told this by Simon from Airbnb's Customer Experience Team. He told me to make sure to put in my description (in addition to checking off the not suitable for children button) that my listing is not suitable for children, and if I do allow an infant I can indeed charge an extra guest fee as long as I have that written in my description. 

@Ali40 so, it is required for us to specify in the listing if we want to charge an infant 0-2?

@Farah1 Yes, that's what Simon from Airbnb told me in his email. 

Mark51
Level 2
South Burlington, VT

There are two options on the listing software: Children 2-12 years old, and Infants 0-2 years old. We have made sure that both of those indicate we do not accept those age ranges. 

Yet when I put into the search engine that we are 4 adults and one infant, my listing pops up as the first one! Why even have those options if they aren't going to filter?

It's because Airbnb does not consider an "infant" an actual guest. It's up to you to put in your description in addition to clicking not suitable for 0 - 2 years old, that your place is not suitable for children of any age. 

Mark51
Level 2
South Burlington, VT

We put all that in there, and AirBnb still brings up our listing for people who have infants, and then we have to decline, and people are upset. Hoo-boy! Makes no sense.

I have to agree and I realized the problem when couples wanted to book my place with their infant. I contacted Airbnb via twitter thinking it was a glitch that my listing came up as an option even though I have not suitable for children of any age marked off, and that was the official explanation and advice I was given.