What should I do when the guest insist to chat outside AirBnb in order to book?

Marco43
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

What should I do when the guest insist to chat outside AirBnb in order to book?

Hi everyone, I'm Marco. Nice to meet you all 🙂

I'm not entirely new to Airbnb as I had something around 5 guests last summer.

This time though I'm having a possible guest insisting, in any way possible, to chat outside the website. She's giving me her number and skype putting letters instead of numbers, and writing s.k.y.p.e. to avoid the chat restrictions, and saying "let's talk just me and you, outside the website, and make me a fair price"

I don't know how to deal with these people, as I think I'm really offering a beautiful flat at a very cheap price. I also made an offer discounting several € per night, but I don't know if I should go for any guest asking me for external chat and huge discounts...

Would you like to share your experience with me? It would be great 🙂

3 Replies 3
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

Hi @Marco43 tough situation.  My gut feeling would be to inform this gal (assuming she's contacting you for the purpose of renting your space) that for her and your protection, all communication needs to go through Airbnb's message system.  And that's the truth.   I'd simply make a polite, but short statement and leave it at that...no arguing about it.  And I would make sure that statement is on the message thread so if need be, Airbnb could see it.  

Communication and payment off site can be very dangerous to both parties, so I would stay safe and play by the rules which are there for a reason.  Good Luck!

Marco43
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Hi Claire,

Thank you for your kind answer. You're right, and I will do exactly what you said.

I wish you a great day 🙂

Ed-and-Hugh0
Level 10
Miami, FL

I had a request like this once. I simply told them our listing was not a good fit.