Top 5 "Red Flags"

Paige73
Level 6
Lansdowne, PA

Top 5 "Red Flags"

Hey fellow hosts!

I'm a fairly new host and would love to know what your "red flags" are for potentially problematic guests. 

I've seen and implemented some really useful ones here on CC (asking for discount, asking for extra, wanting preview, etc). I would like to here your thoughts on others.

33 Replies 33
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Paige73 General neediness, i.e. having a list of demands right out of the gate. Always a warning sign, especially if they're asking to bend your rules.

Also, I'd say lack of basic manners and courtesy. If they can't put in the effort to be courteous when they first contact you, it's not going to get any better when you're actually hosting them.

Asking questions that are covered in the listing, especially things that are mentioned front and centre. If they haven't taken a couple of minutes to skim the listing prior to contacting you, they're probably not going to bother to read anything that's presented to them.

@Alexandra316 I hadn't even thought of writing in a courteous way! Thinking about it my one bad guest was very brusque when he initially contacted me! Good one!

I have stopped taking reservations from 1) people with years on airbnb but  no host reviews 2) first time users of airbnb unless they are aware of and ask pleasantly for me to provide them a first stay and review 3) parents of university students who don't want their children to stay in dorm or with their boyfriend ( they will anyways and will cancel the reservation as soon as the parents leave ( I am not a chaperone) 

Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Accumulation of asks. Asking for a single thing like early check-in is no problem. I start seeing orange and then red when its multiple things: they ask for early check in, late check-out, use of non-listed amenities like washer dryer, baggage storage, receiving mail at my address, or they want to bring their "perfectly behaved pet" when I'm a "no pets" place.

Any ask to go off-platform is an immediate no.

Locals or people moving to the area: Sometimes locals book for a party/event location. Sometimes they're legit between leases for a few days, but sometimes there's good reason they can't find housing. Be sure they aren't booking for a length of time that might give them tenants' rights

Third party. Most of these are innocent, like an adult child booking for parents, but I always ask them to re-book under their own account. Almost without fail, if I accept a 3rd party booking the communication becomes a nightmare because Airbnb messages don't get to the correct person and you'll either get no review, or one left by the booking person who never set foot in your place.

A red flag for most hosts that's worked out fine for me: wedding, bachelor, or bacheorette groups. If I had a whole house rental where I wasn't on property, I'd be more wary of these groups, but I've hosted dozens with only one issue (the vomit queen of 2018).

@Allison2 I have done a third party that went fine, but there was some confusion as I was communicating with the wife while the husband was in the apartment. I could see that being problematic if an issue had arisen.  Thanks!

Paul41
Level 4
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Red flags for me would be

Guest  who have been members for a long time but have had no reviews . 

Needy guests . 

Guest who clearly haven’t read the profile

Guests who have rated previous hosts poorly ( click on  the host who’s reviewed them then search for the guests review of host,) 

Guests who ask for a discount 

@Paul41  Aha! I've seen that, where they'll have been members for like two years with no reviews! What IS that? Are hosts using the old adage "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all"? Should silence from a host be interpreted as a bad review?

@Paige73  ? Should silence from a host be interpreted as a bad review?

Not always, some hosts just don't review guests. Though I have no idea why a lot are like this. Some will gi with the no review if you have nothing good to say, but I honestly believe the percentage of hosts that don't review ever is higher than most would believe. 

@Letti0 That's crazy that some hosts don't review!

As a guest i've stayed with many host not reviewing. I think you're right about this @Letti0

I allow Instant Booking, so a majority of my guests don't have a review. If they don't provide one first I do not provide a review. I think all guest should be required to leave a review.  I've had fellow host (very needy before, during & after) book and not leave a review, but they got a freebie from me. 

Absolutely 🙂

My daughter did a third-party booking for me when I was coming to her graduation because she and my son wanted to pay for it. We solved the communication problem by her giving me access to her account and I communicated directly with the host. And I always made sure she knew it was me and not my daughter.  It was a great stay and I reviewed the host accordingly and she gave my daughters account a great review! LOL 

Mel101
Level 10
Amsterdam, NL

Don't accept guests who won't take no for an answer, and don't feel pressured into taking such guests because of those *@%& emails from Airbnb that you've fallenen below the expected acceptance target. As I'm being reminded of right now!