Should I bill these guests for damage?

Heather315
Level 3
Crestone, CO

Should I bill these guests for damage?

I had some guests this week who were  completely lovely people, but they did  some damage and I'm not sure if I should charge them. The first thing was breaking the bracket that holds the shower head. I had to replace it, coudn't fix. They reported the damage to me immediately and offered to pay. I told them I'd l et them know. 

Second issue I didn't see until after check out. The woman uses a benzoyle peroxide lotion on her face at night and it bleached out the blue pillow case. I tried dyeing it to at least closely match the rest of the bedding, but it's ruined. I'll need to purchase another two pack to replace the one she ruined. She is willing to pay for replacement but I want to make sure I'm being fair. Thoughts? 

Also, should I mention the damage in their review?

Heather

4 Replies 4
Alexandra316
Level 10
Lincoln, Canada

@Heather315 Personally, if they're offering to pay, I'd either take some or all of what they're offering. I'd take at least half.

I wouldn't mention the damage in the review, as they're being good about it and offering to pay.

@Heather315

It is nice that she offered to pay for the damage, and I would be inclined to accept their offer ..why not?

...I mean... of course it is fair (IMO)   ...in this case it isnt "wear and tear" ..it is damage that has rendered the products "useless" and as such will have to be replaced. 

I am suprised that the guest didnt bring a spare pillowcase or cloth ....you would have thought that she would have already found out/new that any peroxide tends to cause bleaching.

With regards to the review...I would be inclined not to mention it...the bracket was no doubt a simple accident and she has kindly offered to replace it...the pillowcase..well maybe a bit careless..but nothing "too serious" in reality.... deal with it between you and the guest...and leave it at that ...(what I would do, anyway) 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Heather315   Sure, accept the $ for the damage. These are the kind of responsible guests that all hosts would welcome. Don't mention it at all in your review if they cover the cost. 

Heather315
Level 3
Crestone, CO

Thank you all for your unanimous opinions! I will charge them fairly, thanks them for offering to pay and give them a 5 star review, as they deserve. 

Heather