How to offer Long Term Reservations with protection to the Host against cancellation?

Gina136
Level 4
Watertown, MA

How to offer Long Term Reservations with protection to the Host against cancellation?

Hi Community!

So, I have reviewed AirBnB Long Term (28 days or longer) Cancellation Policies, read many posts here, and discussed in this forum a recent issue I expericed with cancellation of a LTR.

I have learned that AirBnB does not offer the best protection to the Host for LTRs: specificall, the Guest can cancel automatically (without Host approval) and for free, any time during the period between 30 days post-checkin and  30 days prior check out.

A cancellation during the first 30 days of stay would have the first 30 days not refunded. A cancellation during the last 30 days of the stay, would require Host approval.

So a LTR of say 4 months, could be canceled for free and automaticaly by the Guest any time time during months 2 and 3 -- disadvantagous to the Host after having had the callendar blocked for perhaps months prior.

Some suggest establishing a Lease -- yet in my geographic area I get many international students, interns, etc. who use AirBnB as a reliable, convenient, and affordable housing option as opposed to other forms that are hard and expensive to arrange remotely.

While cancellations of LTR used to be unusual, as AirBnB continues to grow in my are I find more situations  of long term bookings made well in advance (blocking my calendar) that then get cancelled or shortened for free for the guest.

Have other LTR Hosts in this forum found similar situations, and what approaches do they follow to avoidthe calendar blocked for long periods, to  then have that reservations cancelled without "compensation" to the Host?

Thanks!

2 Replies 2
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

hello @Gina136 ,

A guest can not cancel for free, there is always a 30 day notice (and to be paid), unless remaining part of reservation is less then 30 days. It's almost the same as a renting contract with a 1 month notice to end it.

More: https://www.airbnb.com/home/cancellation_policies#long-term.

There is one downside: If the guest does not pay a new installment, Airbnb can not force the guest to do so.

Long term stay is more safe via normal renting agreement. Airbnb even encourages host to bring up additional contract: https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1354/what-are-some-differences-between-long-term-hosting-and-sho...

In some regions a long term stay guest converts automatically into a tennant (getting legal rights belonging to a tennant). 

best regards, Emiel

Thank you!

I was not aware of the advise from AirBnB regarding rental contracts.