Rules on Tax Deductions---are lodging expenses tax deductible?

Ildiko0
Level 2
Grass Valley, CA

Rules on Tax Deductions---are lodging expenses tax deductible?

Hello Everyone?

Are lodging expenses tax deductable when hosts rent out their primary residence and pay for a hotel while their home is rented? 

A second question I have: we just realized that 4 pairs of brand shoes are gone from our house plus a Samsonite case. It happened while we are gone for over a month and we had 3 different parties renting our house. We cannot know who "took" the items but the value is quite high over $700. 

Are these thefts tax deductable? 

Thanks so much!

Ildi 

7 Replies 7
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Ildiko0 Hmm.  You'd need to ask advice from a tax expert on the feasibility of deducting lodging expenses. 

As to your second question about the thefts, Airbnb can't help you with that since a.) you don't know which guest took them and b.) you are probably well outside the reporting time limit.  Can you collect reimbursement from your homeowners insurance? Some won't  pay up if you don't have vacation rental coverage in addition to regular homeowners insurance but you never know.  

Sorry for the theft!

Thanks Clare!

Yes, I'm aware of the general write offs however I cannot find information on writting off the lodging. Sometimes when the rental does not coincide with a vacation or business trip we have to rent a room through Airbnb or a hotel and it ads up. So I wanted to see if anyone knows about this kind of write off.

As for the theft, I know that airbnb cannot do anything about it and I cannot ask the guests, it's a lesson learned!! However it would be heelpful to know if it can be written off from the taxes as replacement personal items? Our home insurance deductable is very high so there is no reason to bother. 

@Ildiko0 You must have gotten my first message which I edited since I didn't answer your question about lodging expenses.  Even if someone here were to say that they used a lodging expense and / or the cost of a theft as a deduction, I would be leary since you don't know their circumstances, laws where they live, etc.  I still would recommend that you either do the research or ask someone with expertise in taxes.

Yes, I asked our accountant about the lodging expenses (not about the theft since we just learned about it) and he said lodging is not tax deductable but I wanted to double check with the community since this might be a common occurance. Thanks for your help Clare!

@Ildiko0 I'm sure there are many who have made alternate arrangements while renting out their homes.  Maybe they'll find this post and chime in!

Ernesto-and-Judy0
Level 2
California, United States

Hi, did you ever find out if lodging expenses were tax deductible?  Our primary residence became so popular that we ended up having to rent another home for the busy season.  Thanks!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

HI @Ildiko0

It sounds like you would benefit from having secure storage for your more expensive items. Unfortunatley some guests are not trustworthy.