Reviewing a Guest-Thoughts?

Summer64
Level 7
Lewisville, TX

Reviewing a Guest-Thoughts?

I've been hosting about 8 weeks now. I have a guest that just checked out that I need to review and I'm struggling. I don't want to be mean, and I don't know if I'm being too picky/hard on him. I also don't know if some of this was because I'm the first Airbnb he has stayed in or if it is cultural.

1. He wore his bathrobe about the house in the common areas at night and in the morning. A deep v revealed he wasn't wearing a shirt, I don't know about the rest. Sat on my couch and hung out in his bathrobe. Is that pretty normal? It made me uncomfortable. I'm a single woman and here is this man I don't know hanging around my home in a bathrobe and on one occassion asking me out to dinner. (I told him I had plans and left my house). One night I came in and he was standing in the dark in the dining room like he was waiting for me. It was creepy.

2. Draped his wet towels on my furniture. I have this real pretty chair in the guest room and I would walk past the room to see this wet towel draped over it. I have places to hang towels in the bathroom, and a closet with hangers. Either is a much better option than a wet towel on my chair.

3. Left lights on. Sat in my living room and talked loudly on speaker phone so that I didn't feel comfortable in the area. 

4. Bathroom was a mess. Standing water around sink and on floor. Soap left out. His hair all over the bathtub. 

Am I being too hard on him? Too picky? I have to share the space too and spent most of the week avoiding it when he was here and staying out of the house in the evenings.

13 Replies 13
Richard1188
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

If you're in your own home sitting round in your bathrobe or in the dark, this is how you choose to spend your time, and that's fine.

If you're a guest, even if you know that person - a friend for instance - male or female - respect should be shown, and there would be unspoken limits and discretion.

If you're a guest in a strangers home then such behaviour is totally disrespectful, indiscret and weird.

Feeling uncomfortable in your own home is not what it should be about.

Be truthful in an objective way.

It's not a case of being hard but providing feedback which is just and reasonable. 

If you wish you can provide personal feedback to him, that only he will read. This could be critical. 

Summer64
Level 7
Lewisville, TX

Thank you! New to this and want to be fair. Don't want him banned from experiencing Airbnb, but also don't feel that it is fair to other hosts not to give them a head's up. 

Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

Hi @Summer64 : No you are not being too picky. The guest was disrespectful. it might be better for you to accept ONLY female guests. As a female host, living alone (I presume), you are allowed to do that. Did you at any time ask him to please get dressed before hanging out in the common areas? If not, you really should have. I understand it can be uncomfortable to confront a stranger, but it is necessary. When you came home and he was lurking in the dark, again, my best advice is that you should make it clear that is not okay. Him asking you out was inappropriate as well, and again, you should have told him so if you did not. I hope you did. You should never be made to feel uncomfortable in your own home. Don't be afraid to step up and be assertive/firm. Make your boundaries clear on what you will allow and not allow. The guy sounds like he was trying to assert dominance over you, and unfortunately, this time he succeeded. I hope you never allow it again. ;o) 

Thanks Ava! 

I really am fine with male guests as the others have been totally appropriate. 

I think that I am nervous about confronting things at times as 1-questioning if I'm just annoyed or if it is really a thing, and 2-not a superhost yet and know how much ratings can impact that. My friend who also hosts has told me that if a guest thinks they are getting a bad rating, they will give you one too and right now I'm all 5 stars...didn't want to risk him messing it up after having to put up with stuff. Also, just wasn't sure how he would react and had to deal with him for a week. 

SO glad he left today though! Thank you so much for your thoughts! Great being able to get other, more experienced hosts thoughts and suggestions! 😃

You're Welcome @Summer64 : I see your House Rules now include all that that made you uncomfortable with this guest. They tend to morph as we get different guests and experiences. You might consider leaving a hard copy in the room, along with other things about the area, menus, sights, your House Manual if you have one, a brief blurb about yourself, etc. I have a hard copy Guidebook on my Dining Room table and guests mention it quite often because they love all the local information and the history of my husbands home. Our listing is an entire home. We live a few minutes away in my house.

I have been doing this for almost a year now. I haven't made SuperHost because of a couple picky whiny princess (Insert Dirty word here) guests that gave me 4 stars instead of 5 overall for imagined problems. One guest even gave me 5 stars on everything EXCEPT the Overall rating, I got a 4 and they never answered me as to why. I don't even worry about whether or not I will make SuperHost anymore. The majority of my guests love the place and those are the ones I have gotten better at vetting and accepting, families and seniors, my faves! Good luck in your continued adventure! 

Yulianna0
Level 10
Madrid, Spain

@Summer64, at least he was wearing bathrobe:) Some of my male guests don’t:) Did you tell him about the mess in the bathroom? May be he was just not aware of it. In this case better put lower stars for cleanness and private feedback explaining that he had to tidy up after him. 

I see that you didn’t feel very comfortable with this guest. May be to say “all in all ok but for my taste he felt a bit too much like at home”? 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Summer64  If you're going to host a room in your home, you need to not be afraid to mention things to guests who are clueless about how to be respectful of you and your home. Of course there are some guests who will tend to leave a bad review if they were called out on something, but if you approach it in a polite way, which I'm sure you would, that is not necessarily the case. We can't allow guests to make us uncomfortable in our own homes just because we're afraid of getting some low stars. 

"Hey, XXX, I noticed when I walked by your open bedroom door that you have wet towels over the chair. That will ruin my chair, it will leave mildew stains that can't be removed. (Or damage the wood, whatever) I'd really appreciate it if you'd hang wet towels on the towel bar. Thanks a lot."

Some people just don't have common sense, are too young to understand these things, or have only lived in furnished rentals where they haven't actually spent a penny of their own money on any furnishings or appliances, so simply don't get it.

As far as the bathrobe thing, you could mention that as he's sharing a home with a single woman, it would be appropriate and respectful to get a bit more dressed when he's in the common spaces, as it makes you uncomfortable.  

Most guests won't be offended to point out things that are a problem for you, as long as you don't keep harping on every little thing they do wrong.

One good way to talk about these kind of things to guests without them getting bent out of shape about it, is to just casually mention it after you've been conversing about something else non-contentious. Say you've been talking about a good retsaurant down the street, then you say, as if it's an afterthought, rather than something pointed, "Oh, by the way, I meant to ask you....."

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Summer64 

Hi Summer and welcome to Airbnb hosting and the community centre. We all help each other here and you will learn a lot from the experiences of others. 

Your guest sounds like an undesirable to me, what has his past history been like? Have any of his previous hosts made comment about his 'familiarity'.....that will give you some sort of hint as whether this was, as you say, a 'cultural' thing or if he was trying to push personal boundaries!

I have never come across it and most hosts will never have been faced with this situation but, we do hear of them on odd occasions here, and I am sorry you have struck something like this so early in your hosting career.

But, the best advice I can give you Summer, even though you may host as a single person, give the impression, both in your listing description and your welcoming manner, that there is a significant other in the wings somewhere.....a boyfriend, a partner.....give anyone who wishes to act in this manner the strong impression that your personal committments are in other areas and although you wish to make their stay one they will enjoy that does not encompass personal involvement! 

As far as the review is concerned I would say something along the lines of ....

"Although communication was good, observance of house rules and personal space could have been better. I wish him all the best for the future and with just a bit more effort in some areas, I am sure XXXXX has the makings of a good guest". and give 3 star for cleanliness and observance of house rules.

Now by doing that Summer you haven't caned him but, you have raised a red flag where his behaviour is concerned and warned him to lift his game. And more importantly you have not said anything of him that would allow him to have your review removed and you have shown yourself to be a conciliatory host and the sort we all would like to know or deal with!

All the best Summer.

Cheers......Rob

@Summer64 @Robin4  In addition to Robin's excellent review suggestion, you could add: 'this guest made me feel uncomfortable in my own home and I would not host him again.'  From what you said in your first post you hated him being there so much that you had to go out!  You should warn other single lady hosts.  I only rent my spare room to women because I don't want to find myself in a situation like yours.  Good luck with your next guest!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Summer64  Another little trick to keep in mind if you have to correct a guest's behavior is to say please do, rather than please don't. When people are asked to not do something, it psychologically registers as being told that they're doing something wrong, and they feel defensive, whereas if you say "I'd really appreciate it if you could keep wet towels hung on the towel rack, so the furniture doesn't get damaged", it registers as a way you like things done in your home- they're more likely to comply and not have any reason to leave a low star review if they don't feel they're being criticized..

Summer64
Level 7
Lewisville, TX

Thank you all! This has all been great info! I appreciate it so much!

Dennis264
Level 6
Juneau, AK

I suggest that you wait until the last minute you can review unless he reviews you first.

My suggestion for wording:

"Jxxx's behavior was disturbing and at times inappropriate.  He visited shared areas of the house in various states of undress.  I would not recommend him as a guest."  I'd give him 1 or 2 stars for cleanliness, 1 for communication. 

Any time a guest makes you feel unsafe, you should contact AirBnB CS.

@Summer64 

I think @Sarah977 and @Robin4 gave you some really great advice and I think it's safe to say most hosts always end up adding to their list of house rules as we host more guests.

You may want to consider having a set of "House Rules" that people need to agree to prior to booking and a separate list of "Common Courtesy Rules" that are more about how you expect guests to behave while in your home. This could include things like telling guests to clean up after themselves after using the shared spaces, wearing appropriate clothes and covering up when in shared spaces, and not hanging wet towels/clothes on the furniture etc. 

If you have time, you should take a look at what kind of rules other hosts that have replied to your post have as their house rules - it may give you some ideas. Looking at what kind of rules other hosts had really helped me a lot when I was a new host just starting out 🙂 

Regarding wording, I'd probably say something like this: Overall communication was fine with GUEST, but unfortunately his behavior in a shared home environment was not always appropriate and made me uncomfortable in my own home. Also, guest spaces required more than the average amount of cleaning compared to previous guests. 

Hope this helps~