Payouts

Sophia105
Level 2
Nanyuki, Kenya

Payouts

Hi everyone,

I am concerned that Airbnb passes on all bank charges to hosts when making payouts through wire transfer. In my last 2 payouts, there was Airbnb's bank ($26), the corressponding bank ($20), and my bank (~$13). In total, about $60. Question is, in the interest of a mutually beneficial relationship (Airbnb & hosts), I feel at the very least, Airbnb should pay its own bank. Otherwise to pass on all charges to us as hosts is simply unethical.

What's your take?

8 Replies 8
Eric437
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Have you looked at using Paypal as your payout method?

Hi Eric, thanks for writing. PayPal is way more expensive for me than doing a wire transfer. The point though is that it's simply unethical for Airbnb to pass on all bank charges to hosts when all they would need to do is give their bank instructions for the initial cost. It's simply wrong and not a symbiotic relationship.

Thanks again and hope to engage some more.

See if you can talk to your bank and see if they will waive some of the transfer fees. Wire transfers are expensive, but I have had success in the past talking to my bank and asking to reduce some of those fees. I seriously doubt airbnb will ever agree to eat those wire fees on your behalf.

You should look at those fees as a cost of doing business, very similar to retailers who have to pay merchant account fee for the privlege of taking credit cards. Maybe mark up your cleaning fee or nightly rate to compensate for the fees.

Carol-Lee1
Level 9
Montevallo, AL

I use Paypal.  I get a notice as soon as the money is there and then I transfer it to my bank with no fee.  I don't know how that works if it's an international transaction, but it's worth looking into.

Hey Carol-Lee, thanks for writing. I have actually used PayPal before and it was way more expensive as compared to a wire transfer, only again to find all bank charges passed on to hosts during a wire transfer. I honestly feel this is just not in the interest of hosts at all. 

Thanks again for writing and hope to engage some more.

PayPal doesn't charge me a fee.  I'm not sending money to a third person or sending invoices.  As far as I can tell it's free.  I also use it to make purchases also no fee.

Sue-and-Andrew0
Level 4
Johannesburg, South Africa

I wouldn't expect AirBNB to cover their banking fees - I'm sure there's large variability in fees so would be challenging for them to manage... the possible consequence of this would be that their normal service charges would increase in order to cover the increased costs.

I'd agree with @Carol-Lee1 and @Eric437 - use PayPal so you can control your payouts and any local banking fees that result from you withdrawing your Paypal funds.

Hi Sue & Andrew, thanks for writing. I have used PayPal before but it was even more expensive than doing a wire transfer. 

Of course however, Airbnb can pick their own bank charges at the very least, in the interest of preserving the relationship with hosts. When it comes to the large variability in fees, their bank is there for that. Airbnb's Bank Relationship Manager can easily work out that for them. But passing on all charges to hosts?????, simply dishonourable, in my view.

Thanks again for writing and hope to engage some more.