I received a poster from Airbnb

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

I received a poster from Airbnb

I received a poster (I assume as a present) from Airbnb in the mail. Here are my ungrateful thoughts:

It is a cute map and it says "Pin where you are from " or something like that. I would have to either let guests pin the poster itself which means multiple little holes in my walls or spend $80 for a cork board (the poster is pretty big). I will also need to buy the pins- I guess minor expense but still annoying. These pins will be all over the place an inevitably someone will step on one and complain. Alternatively, I can hang a sharpie. It will have to be taped to the wall and the poster already says "pin" so now the whole thing will look home made in the bad sense of the word. So in the trash it went. I give it 3 stars for communication (I got an email from USPS that something was coming but would have rather gotten an email with a choice of gifts), 1 star for value, 5 stars for location (map was accurate and package arrived where intended), 2 stars for accuracy (a gift should be fully usable and not require additional purchasing and assembly)

80 Replies 80

@Michelle1164 That's really cool!  I love that you're in Kansas and you've got a map of OZ.  Well, the whole listing references OZ.  Very well done.  The cats are beautiful, too!

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks @Inna22 for starting this topic, haha you were the one who was creative about our inaugural Festival of Hospitality & taking the mickey!

I believe the idea for a world map for us generated from discussions at the time so you can blame me in part for that...think & look back through those conversations...;)

If you recall there's a map somewhere in here with little flags to write on & pins..that @Lizzie put up..

Toothpicks could work in cork or normal sewing pins if you get some corugated card from larger boxes may work if you are environmental into it.

I have given them feedback that the Pacific Islands including New Caledonia, Tahiti and the likes are missing as is Reunion Island off Africa - Great places to visit and explore.

I like the icons & animals on it.

It would be cool if they printed them off without the colours on it as black lines on a white background & sent them out with crayons, paints or pencils to Families in the ABB community so they can have a fun project to do.... Thoughts?

Mine arrived on my birthday & is hanging in the living room.

It's very good quality paper & like others the container's great for posters, or blowing raspberries down each end if you have children.

Enjoy & expore

Thanks @Lizzie @ Stephanie@Laura@Quincey

@Helen427 I think the map is very cute and would have been a perfect present could have I used it without spending about extra $80 and two hours of my time. Time is precious, particularly when you have three kids. And I would never put anything up with pins at the house. Accident waiting to happen. But of course it is the thought that counts @Suzanne302 which is something I have posted with an apology as soon as I realized it was a present from moderators not a random item from Airbnb, if you scroll just a bit down the first page.

@Inna22 Yeah, I saw that! Sorry, I should have made it clearer that my comments weren't a dig on you, just my thoughts! 🙂

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I think that's a cracking idea @Helen427  - a lineart version for kiddies to colour in! How about having the landmarks as stickers too so the children can learn where they are meant to be located on the map? Oh, the possibilities!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

One could always pin it up so it's in the corner of two walls but away from the actual wall & put pins in it so you don't need to worry about damaging walls....or create a firm background & hang it with a fine chain/ cord from the ceiling away from the wall..

Suzanne302
Level 10
Wilmington, NC

I prefer to take the position, it's the thought that counts.

I like the map! And I like the sentiment behind it. This is the mods trying to create a little bit of community. Chesky had nothing to do with this.

There is no "one size fits all" and I imagine it's not an easy process to come up with a gift that will appeal to a wide range of people that is also cost effective.

Much ado about a free gift! I think gifts are one of those things that if you don't like them, you really don't need to say anything about it. Just smile and move on.

I have always had a map in the rooms we list on Airbnb! One room has a map I found that is cut from a piece of aluminum and I made small magnets to “pin” with. Another room has old fashioned maps of the world and the last room has a map of the world bought at a stationary store. The paper ones I backed with tiles of cork and the pins are short enough so as not to go through the cork or on any wall. I keep the pins in a small pottery jar (I’m a potter) close by.

Many guests have commented that they love seeing where others have traveled from and two and a half years later I’ve hosted guests from nearly every continent.

Get creative in how you display your map!

A pottery jar! Thanks, @Carol676 . I have been trying to come up with an idea to hold the pins. 

@Lawrene0 the jar is only about as tall as your finger but wide enough to pick out a pin! I use different colored ones and at this point it’s super colorful and very full! I love overhearing guests laugh about where they’re going to find space to tack their pin!! 🙂

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Carol676 how wonderfully creative! Would love to see some piccy's of the set up!

-----

@Stephanie image.jpg

I also enjoy placing a “wow” on places guests have traveled from! Lots of compliments and super simple!

thanks for asking!! This simple finger pot was actually made by my husband so I have to give him the credit for this particular small “jar”! 😉

image.jpg

I made the magnets using 1/4 inch glass squares and I cut the stickable magnet tape to the back of each piece. Colorful! This is in our twin bed room which actually and surprisingly receives more guests than I ever thought would!

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

You MADE the magnets?! That's incredible. I love this metal map of the states, it's simply incredibly crafty of you,  thanks for sharing @Carol676 !

-----

@Stephanie Thanks so much!!