How much to charge for a wedding party

Marianne18
Level 1
Topanga, CA

How much to charge for a wedding party

I have had several inquiries from people who want to have their wedding party at our home.  I don't know how to go about charging for a wedding party.  I have a nightly rate of $700.00 for 4 people.  What is the going rate for a wedding party. Do you charge per person? 

5 Replies 5
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Marianne18 Saw that your question has been languishing here for a while. I don't think anyone here can answer that.  Perhaps you could consult with a wedding planner to get an idea of what to charge?  For sure you would need to incorporate enough in your price to cover clean up, damage and wear and tear on your property.  Also, I would consult with your homeowners insurance to be sure you are covered for an event like this.  How many people will there be? Do you have enough bathrooms to handle all the people?

Since the people attending the party are not "guests" in the sense Airbnb uses the term, you wouldn't, I would think, be covered under it's normal host guarantees.  Hosting a wedding party is really outside the Airbnb universe so you need to be careful and be sure your bases are all covered.  

Not to be negative, but I think you are opening up yourself to potential liability hosting a wedding at your place.  Will alcohol be served? What if someone gets into an accident, could you be held liable? Are you prepared for drunk and disorderly people?  There have been many stories in the press with people using Airbnb listings for parties and left them trashed.  

These are all things you need to consider and decide whether the potential income is worth it.  You have a lovely place....I would stick to normal hosting and leave the parties to other venues where they know what they're doing. 

Good luck! I would really like to know what you decide.  You can message me back by adding @ in front of my name.  

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Marianne18, I agree entirely with @Clare0.

I've seen your listing, and would also suggest that you require a Security Deposit, and that you make your House Rules more comprehensive, firm, and clear. They need to cover all kinds of situations, and will stand you in good stead if a problematic situation arises and you need to approach AirBnB to help resolve it. I'm just thinking ahead here. 🙂

Monique13
Level 1
Terrigal, Australia

Hi Marianne

I have been asked the same question several times this last month.

I realise that Airbnb was not set up with the intention of promoting bookings for parties and events (such as black tie events and weddings) but there is an EVENT box to tick when setting up your listing. This would indicate that the organisation is allowing such events to take place.

I agree that the notion of hosting large numbers of people on your property is daunting and a liability issue.

The request I am currently considering is for the ceremony only.

The wedding party would be holding the reception elsewhere. The prospective bride and groom simply want to take their vows in the cliff top setting.

As you posted your query in April I am wondering if you can give me any feedback or tips ?

Keen for a conversation....

Monique

It is important to require the rejter to get "Event Insurance" , and name you as additional insured!

Also, a seperate Contract outlining the nterms agreed for the "event", such as start and stop time, number of guests, etc....

Kevin43
Level 2
Sunnyvale, CA

I agree with the messages above, and it seems reasonable that those who are not staying "guests" at your home would not likely be covered by AirBNB's 1 million dollar umbrella.  You may want to have them purchase secondary wedding liability insurance -- something like https://www.wedsafe.com/pages/wedding-liability-insurance.aspx