Guests have put a burn mark in bathroom floor.....

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Guests have put a burn mark in bathroom floor.....

Hi fellow hosts,

This morning I noticed a burn mark on the bathroom floor. It's not fixable as the floor is vinyl. The guest has put her hair straightner on the floor which has put the burn mark on the floor. They are still here for another 4 nights. I have queried it with her and she did not deny it so that's good. They have said let them know what they can do and I said I would have someone look at it as there will be a cost for the damage.  To fix it, I would need to replace the whole floor. Of course, I would want to make them pay the whole cost - but they would need to pay a little bit towards it.  

Is the best option to go straight to the resolution centre? or get a quote first from a flooring person? It's hard to know how much to get from the guest.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

Punam

5 Replies 5
Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Ooops, I meant 'I would NOT get them to pay for the full cost of replacing the floor'.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Punam0 call a floor person while they are still here and get a quote and then try to negotiate with your guest. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Punam0

I'd normally expect guests to have insurance to cover such mishaps.

In this case I'd say let them know what the total replacement amount is for you and decide on an amount they would cover, and before they check out, get their agreement for this in writing on the messaging page so that it's on record for Airbnb to see.

Make sure there is a recap of the whole situation and your exchange with them on there as in "Just to summarize our conversation yesterday regarding the burn mark unfortunately caused by....... As per our conversation this morning I very much appreciate your wanting/agreeing to pay XX towards the total cost of replacement of XX."

That way your guest shouldn't be able to back out of paying later because it's there for Airbnb to see. I've never had a resolution case myself, however from such posts on the forum such damage expenses are handled through the Resolution Center. When speaking to the guest and getting their okay, you might even want to solidify things when fresh and suggest setting up the claim right away together on the site, because if guest doesn't agree, you'll be at the mercy of Airbnb's decision later on.

@Andrea9 @Punam0

Punam

I would echo everything that Andrea has said (with the exception of most guests having separate insurance - that may not be that common?) but in any case - MOVE QUICKLY.

Do not rely on ABB to help resolve this - low odds and high inconvenience & effort are down that path. It sounds like you have a great guest and they are receptive to acknowledging/repairing the damage - so capitalize on that. Grab their willingness with both hands and come up with a solution fast. Each day that goes by - especially after the guests leaves - their willingness to contribute will fade, it's just part of human nature.

Personally I would accept that I will have to replace the lino at some cost - get a rough estimate figure and quickly decide on a contribution towards this to be paid for by the guest. Whether you claim on your own insurance for the damage - or just pay yourself - it is important to figure out an amount that you are happy with - but that isn't so large that it leaves a bad feeling with the guest. So whatever that may be - discuss it with the guest and ask them to pay you NOW.

Offer them a brief written letter stating that, as a result of the damage caused to the floor, you are content to accept XX amount as their contribution towards repair & replacement of the flooring, and this payment ends their liability to you and the matter will not be taken further. And that you are appreciative of their willingness to contribute etc. etc... Dated and signed by you and them.

Hopefully then it can all be forgotten and your review and the rest of their stay will not suffer as a result of any bad feeling. And you can always buy a bigger bathroom rug to help with cover ups while you decide on how to proceed. 🙂

Hope this helps,

Rachael

Punam0
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

Thank you all for your advice! I am heading to the flooring shop now and will get a quote in writing and have a talk with the girls tonight. Then will message them on airbnb to its in writing.  Then will negotiate a price for them to pay.

will let you know how I get on.

Thanks again

Punam