Guest won't leave at check-out

Denisse23
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Guest won't leave at check-out

Hi, I offered late check out as a courtesy to my current guest (extra 3 hours). The guest decided to stay longer than that (6 - 7 more hours). In fact, she has not leave yet. My question is: I keep sending her messages regarding the check out, and Airbnb has not replied to any of my message. How can I arrange check out without cooperation nor willingness of the guest. How can I can set the record to Airbnb that this guest had unreasonable demands throughout her stay, and thus, as a token of consideration, I gave her 3 more hours of check out. More than 6 hours, I think qualifies for an extra cost. Have anyone experienced this? Thanks for your help!

Denissse

6 Replies 6
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Denisse23

there is another active post with the same topic today, try to find it. Contact Airbnb help via twitter or call them. You are intitled for double nightly price for the day of this overstay (even if they overstay for just an hour ) if you have another booking today. If you don't then you have a right for compensation for your inconveniance and additional costs if any.

Ben253
Level 4
London, United Kingdom

Is she renting a room or an entire home from you? If you are present you need to maybe approach her and lay your cards on the table; jut tell her simply that she has to leave, that the checkout time has passed and you were gracious enough to already extend that.

She is just taking liberties now... I rarely offer late checkout for this reason; people assume that late checkout means they can stay as long as they want. You give an inch and quite often people will take a mile.

Contact Airbnb in your city and explain the situation, so they are aware of what is happening.

With regards to charging her; you might want to ask Airbnb about that, just make a point of saying that it has been a massive inconvenience as your whole day has centered around this guests eventual departure. I have a sneaking suspicion that you can only charge for an overstay after 24 hours but don't quote me on that. 

Good luck....! 

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Denisse23  Call AirBnB now. She is taking complete advantage of you. Tell them you want her charged for an overstay at 2X the nightly rate as is documented in the TERMS of SERVICE Section 8.2.2 and tell them to demand she leave now. Explain the difficult problems you have already had with this guest. Also make sure you are requesting she leave via the AirBnB messaging sytem. 

Germany +49 30 30 80 83 80
Germany +49 30 31 19 91 75

Terms of Service

8.2.2 You agree to leave the Accommodation no later than the checkout time that the Host specifies in the Listing or such other time as mutually agreed upon between you and the Host. If you stay past the agreed upon checkout time without the Host's consent (“Overstay”), you no longer have a license to stay in the Accommodation and the Host is entitled to make you leave in a manner consistent with applicable law. In addition, you agree to pay, if requested by the Host, for each twenty-four (24) hour period (or any portion thereof) that you Overstay, an additional nightly fee of up to two (2) times the average nightly Listing Fee originally paid by you to cover the inconvenience suffered by the Host, plus all applicable Guest Fees, Taxes, and any legal expenses incurred by the Host to make you leave (collectively, "Overstay Fees"). Overstay Fees for late checkouts on the checkout date that do not impact upcoming bookings may be limited to the additional costs incurred by the Host as a result of such Overstay. If you Overstay at an Accommodation, you authorize Airbnb (via Airbnb Payments) to charge you to collect Overstay Fees. A Security Deposit, if required by a Host, may be applied to any Overstay Fees due for a Guest’s Overstay.

https://www.airbnb.com/terms#sec8

Denisse23
Level 2
Berlin, Germany

Thanks you all for your replies. It is my first time but it has been the most useful way to get this issue resolved (actually awaiting) but it is outrageous how hosts are unprotected from abussive guests. As soon as I mentioned the overstay fee, the guest replied immediately

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi @Denisse23

The entitled guest needs an honest review to be written.

If guest still there go to the spacco ration and ask them politely to leave.

Hopefully you won’t make this decision again.

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Typo go to the accomodation and ask them politely to leave.