Guest Arrived Early, Left Immediately, Complained about our Dog that is Clearly stated in the Ad

Libby2
Level 1
San Diego, CA

Guest Arrived Early, Left Immediately, Complained about our Dog that is Clearly stated in the Ad

Hi Community. So Maggie booked our "Unicorn Lair and Pillow Fort" attic space very last minute with a platonic travel companion. I accepted her request and put together her room for her arrival and went out to do some errands. I contacted her by text to coordinate her planned arrival at 6 pm. Later that afternoon, I get a text saying she would be arriving at 3 pm. I raced home early to find them waiting in my yard, looking none-too-pleased. I unlocked the door and brought them up to the room,  As they will, my two small and very friendly dogs greeted the newcomers enthusiastically. I helped them lug their giant bags up the stairs to the room which is, as described in the room profile, filled with hundreds of pillows and is a fun, funky place. After giving them the tour of the rest of the house, kitchen, living room and giving them directions to local spots, they went out for half an hour. They then came back, the companion complaining that he is "not a teenager and can not stay here", and "he can't stay here because the dogs are not clean and I had a liver transplant" and a list of other barbs and condescentions. He seemed to be having a panic attack trying to lug his suitcase down the stairs. After they left, I felt insulted and confused. In my ad for the room I CLEARLY STATE that dogs live here. I also explicitly describe the room in great detail. I have many accurate photos of the space. I have many glowing reviews of the room as well. After some deliberation, I offered Maggie a significant refund. In hindsight, I am regretting offering her anything at all. The questions are these: in a situation like this, am I obligated to refund anything? Am I responsible if they did not read the listing thoroughly? Should I leave her a bad review or flag her? Should I chalk it up to "hospitality"? Can I rescind my refund offer? Am I misguided and somehow at fault here? Thanks...

6 Replies 6
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

Just part of the deal that every now and then you will get weird people, hopefully they will be a very small percentage, but they are out there.

One of the big advantages of AirBnB is that you still get paid.

What is your check in time?, I do not mind people coming early if I am here and things are ready, but do not rush back. I remind them of my check in time.

And there is nothing you can do to make everybody read the information you have, but at least when it is there then it is their own stupidity.

David

I agree with David. Hopefully these types will be rare. I just had another guest check in and ask "where do you live" even though my listing clearly states they get a bedroom in my house. Anyway it has only happened a few times. Keep smiling!

So in your opinion I should not have offered a refund?

I might have offered a very small, token refund, but maybe not. You went to a lot of trouble and you blocked dates on your calendar.

I certainly would not have, well if I was able to re let the accomodation I might.

I have had no shows, which is sort of similar, hassle involved with them balanced out not have to turn the room.

David
Lynn21
Level 2
Vancouver, Canada

I expect this may happen to anyone because the companion of the guest may not have seen or read your Airbnb listing. I have had the odd spouse look disapprovingly at my main guest as they go down some stairs into my bright basement suite. This is not your responsibility and in fact impossible to ensure the non-registered guest has any information. I would not refund any money's and since the guest must cancel, no review occurs. It is up to the guest to prove to Airbnb's Resolution Center, who is the final arbitrator, if you misrepresented your property or if it was unsafe in some way. By the sounds of it, I don't think your guests had a leg to stand on. People make mistakes booking the wrong place, it is not your mistake and you should not be penalized for it.

To try to avoid this situation I always send a message before allowing a booking asking if they haven't already done so, to read my entire listing & House Rules, then let me know if they are still interested. This additional confirmation lays the responsibility on them! I have had just a couple people say they already found a place or say the fit was not right and that is OK with me as a happy guest is what we all want.