Greeted 5 guests but tonnes more showed up

Olivia9
Level 1
Terrigal, Australia

Greeted 5 guests but tonnes more showed up

Tonight if our first hosting night and we greeted 5 guests in 2 cars. We've been informed by neighbours that 2 more cars have since arrived and not sure how many more people but potentially over 12.
Not sure how to handle this situation?
I'm annoyed to have been lied to but if there's no damage then there's no harm done but I feel the extra people should pay for their stay.
Any advice?
1 Reply 1
Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Olivia9, your home looks lovely. I do hope all these people won't somehow damage the floor. 

If there are more guests than the number indicated on the reservation details, then the person who made the booking has violated the terms of your listing - which is in essence a contract'

However, I note that you have 6 beds to accommodate 12 people, but you indicate a limit of 6 guests. I suggest changing the 6 to 12, and then adding an extra charge in the Extra Guests box, showing a price for each guest after, say, the 5th (just an example). 

At the moment, you have 'Extra Guests No charge', which can be misleading, as it implies that any number of guests after the initial official ones can stay at no cost. 

I also suggest you tighten up your House Rules. List them rather than describe them. Be very clear and precise in terms of what's allowed in your home. It's not enough to ask guests to 'respect' your home. You need to spell things out for them. In this way, if problems arise and guests deny knowledge of what was expected, they can be pointed to the Rules. 

I'd suggest contacting AirBnB regarding how to proceed. Do you live near the home? Would it be possible for you to show up and see for yourself how many people are there?